FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on Tripods/Heads.

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Question on Tripods/Heads.
on Sep 23, 2012 at 12:44:39 am

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This is a cross post that was originally posted in "Indie Film & Doc.", but I thought I might have luck in this forum. I recently was lucky enough to get a Sachtler Pedestal C I (tripod/dolly) at auction, but without any head. I have a number of Manfrotto and Gitzo heads which attach to tripods via a 3/8" Female thread. My ultimate goal is to mount one of these to the Sachtler pedestal.

The Sachtler pedestal has a plate that is circular, flat, and has three evenly spaced holes near the outside. The wholes are not threaded, and run through the wheel assembly, about 2 inches. In the image below, the center whole is not threaded.

The wholes are not threaded, and run through the wheel assembly, about 2 inches.
In the C I Manual, it lists the head fitting as "Flat Base", but I am having a hard time finding anything online that would adapt the hardware. I would like to avoid having to spend the type of money a Sachtler head would cost (even a used one).

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
-Eric

HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Question on Tripods/Heads.
on Sep 27, 2012 at 7:20:42 pm

I have some heavy duty Vinten vector 750 heads that have this type of mount. According to vinten they call it a 4 bold flat mount

Hopefully this helps. Not sure its a industry standard name or not.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:26:53 pm

Hi Mike,

I really appreciate the input, especially since I have had very little response to this posting. Unfortunately, you will see that this has actually only THREE bolt holes... I looked up Vinten 4-Bolt Flat Base Adapters on B&H and Adorama, and this IS the industry standard name. Just the wrong one for my needs.
:(

Thanks anyway!

HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:03:36 pm

Well I'm a idiot. I should have looked closer. Sorry. On the website you attached I looks like they have a whole heck of a lot of adaptor mounts. I'm guessing non of those will fit your current heads?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:10:36 pm

You are not an idiot. I honestly appreciate that you were trying to help. As you can see, no one else has posted to this thread, and I still don't have an answer to my question. Thanks again for trying, if I do find a solution I will be sure to share it here.
It is kind of a bummer, since I currently have this AWESOME tripod, and no way to mount a camera on it (without spending $4K on a Sachtler head).
-Eric

So whatcha' want?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]