FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPad Teleprompter

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Cogar
iPad Teleprompter
on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:46:38 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced teleprompter software and support rig for the iPad2.

There are several on the market from various suppliers. Can anyone recommend an easy-to-use product that worked well for under $1K?

Cameras are JVC GY-HM700U and JVC GY-HM100U.

Thanks,

Charlie Cogar
Metropolitan Community College
Omaha, Nebraska

Return to posts index

Richard Schiller
Re: iPad Teleprompter
on Sep 18, 2012 at 10:31:48 am

Hi Charlie

I recently bought the i-pad based prompter from DataVision. I believe that this is sold under more than one name but this version includes the flight case. This unit suits a variety of cameras via a fairly flexible mounting system but I have only used it so far with a Canon DSLR. I suspect it will be more awkward to use with the smallest consumer camcorders though as there will be little room to fasten the cloth used to seal (lightwise) the angled glass to the camera. You use one of two apps to provide the teleprompting both of which are mentioned in the manual. One app works (for the left-right reversed text needed in the reflected view the reader gets) and the other does not. It has a remote control that allows the reader to set the speed and pause the text. I think it was around $500 equivalent. One thing I have not tried is filming outside on a really sunny day. It seems very high contrast and fairly bright but I cannot say for sure it will work there.

My presenter was blown away and so, to some extent, was I - from the front. The quality of the displayed text is fantastic and the controlability is good. The remote control is a bit small and along with the lead a bit vulnerable but works OK. There are two things you are likely to break; the remote and the glass and both are quite expensive to replace - what would you expect though I guess. The software is easy to use. It is excellent to get the included flight case - and you do need one.

The downside? Apart from the high cost of the spares it is the all-to-common point about supplied flight cases being designed for the parts and not the completed unit. What is supplied is more-or-less a kit. You have to assemle it (the instructions are not great) and then you have a working prompter. To be fair you will have to reconfigure it for different sized cameras and to do things like to change it from front-of-lens to under-lens configurations. I find I have to almost completely disassemble the thing to pack it though which is a pain.

In terms of how well it works for the presenter versus its price though - fantastic.

I hope that helps,

Richard

Richard Schiller

Working amateur

Panasonic Camcorder 1080p, Nikon SLR with video acquisition 720p, Sony Vegas editing software.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:09:00 pm

Hello Richard,

And thanks very much for your prompt and helpful response. What is the model number of the iPad prompter system?

Thanks,

Charlie C.

Return to posts index

Richard Schiller
on Sep 18, 2012 at 3:31:13 pm

Now there is a challenge. It is not clear what moddel it is but the instruction manual says "iprompter for ipad"

Richard Schiller

Working amateur

Panasonic Camcorder 1080p, Nikon SLR with video acquisition 720p, Sony Vegas editing software.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:39:27 pm

Here's one for $350. Works great.

http://www.lcd4video.com/ipad-2-teleprompter-kit/

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Richard Farr
on Sep 22, 2012 at 9:25:10 am

Hi Charlie,

http://www.prompt-it.com.au
Get the Maxi one ($260). Works very well and super popular. We have used it on full day productions outdoors all around Sydney without any problems.

These guys don't sell it with a rig to attach to the camera so you set up on its own tripod in front of whatever camera you are using. Works really well for us. The glass is portrait which helps cos eyes don't wander so much left to right.

We saw the prompt-it guys at the SMPTE show in Sydney last year and everyone was buying one.

Oh and I've used the lcd4video one once. It worked but flimsy and wobbly compared to the prompt-it one.

Hope that helps.

Richard.

Return to posts index

Kim Jones
on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:29:19 pm

Has anyone come across these before? http://www.autocue.com/ipad-teleprompter/ Is there a big difference in quality compared to the ones mentioned previously and is it worth the price difference?

Return to posts index

Richard Farr
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:27:12 am

Kim,

really the main difference is that you can attach your camera AND the teleprompter to the same tripod. I find that annoying and the extra weight can make your tripod wobbly (depending on the tripod of course).

Some WANT the teleprompter and the camera on the same tripod. In that case, the one I have (Maxi) is not ideal. But how many times are you going to have the talent walking around of moving? I haven't, ever. My friend works for Channel 10 and has the Maxi and goes overseas and covers all sorts of news. The separate tripod is a godsend as he can quickly remove the camera & tripod and run off to film something else without affecting the talent/script setup.

The glass on the "autocue" is wider and is in a triangle shape. Larger glass at an odd shape = more fragile and more expensive.

The difference in price is madness! I bought this one 2 years ago: ( http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=285 ) thinking that price would make it better and more professional.
It was a NIGHTMARE! It took us 2 hours to set up the first time!!! Subsequent set ups took approx 15 minutes and it was HEAVY and took lots of space. I hated it and sold it for half the price on ebay. The Autocue one look similar with screws & parts and fixing bits etc... too complicated!

The one we use (Prompt-it Maxi) fits in my laptop bag or Lowepro XDCAM camera bag. I set it up in 2 minutes on a separate $40 tripod. I haven't broken the glass in 1.5 years. Even if I did it costs $100 to replace so not so expensive.

I hope that helps.

R.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]