FORUMS: list search recent posts

production switchers

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carolyn entricht
production switchers
on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:20:40 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Roland v1600 production switcher? I know about Roland audio products and keyboards but nothing about their video switchers. Does it work well as a basic multi-format switcher and does it have good tech support?
thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: production switchers
on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:58:42 pm

Carolyn,

I can't imagine it wouldn't work just fine.

Still, I woudn't buy anything at this price point if I hadn't have at least a little "hands on" time to check it out.

The first thing I'd look for would be to hook up multiple cameras and simply switch between them in a single bank. You want the switching to be instantaneous without any digital delay between hitting the button and "taking" that shot.

Early digital mixers often had small switching delays while the internal circuits sync'ed the signals for output and that's a significant problem if you're doing live shows.

The point is that the "bells and whistles" these all have are all well and good. But the most critical functions are the ones you do every show over and over. So don't get lost in the "sizzle" and forget to take a very close look at the steak.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

carolyn entricht
on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:02:11 pm

Thank you for your input... I hope to get a demo soon.

Return to posts index

Kingsley Foreman
on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:06:54 pm

I saw one of these at nabshow a couple of years ago, in the 5min i played with it, it looked alright.

I was on the lookout for something for a while, I eventually went black magic, and really can't fault it yet, it does exactly what it says it does.

Return to posts index

carolyn entricht
on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:34:30 pm

How is your support with black magic? Is it the ATEM1 or 2?

Return to posts index

Kingsley Foreman
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:21:26 pm

I have the ATEM-1,

I had a problem with uploading images to it, I contacted support and the Aussie rep got back to me next day. I ended up working out the problem (it was a network MTU issue) so I didn't really need to go further.

Other then that I just haven't needed support at all.

Return to posts index

carolyn entricht
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:25:55 pm

thank you for your response. I have been looking into the ATEM2.

Return to posts index

Kingsley Foreman
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:41:08 pm

I was actually originally looking at a Panasonic switcher, however after talking to someone at B&H who had one he gave me the pros and cons of the ATEM switchers I got one of them. I think the new audio features built into the switcher are nice. The new layering feature of the ATEM-2 looks good too.

If anything it is good for embedding audio back into hd-sdi for recording. But if you want to travel light you could use it as a audio mixer also (I like having a real audio desk).

Much of the stuff here
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
is done via the ATEM-1, I have also switched a couple of live shows and a large funeral with it. It hasn't let me down yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]