FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we talk about Tripod BAGS?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tompkins
Can we talk about Tripod BAGS?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:32:51 pm

I seemed to go thru Tripod bags. I don't know why. They don't hold up.
Grant it they have been canvas/fabric material.

I treat my gear very well. It's an investment and I baby all my video gear.

My current bag is a Cartoni, after a while the zipper starts to fail, then it sorta works from one side then complete failure. I only have used a hard shell for travel.

Anyone got a Tripod bag they love and it has stood the test of time?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Can we talk about Tripod BAGS?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:12:03 pm

IMO, bags are not the best choice.
I like hard cases. The old Oconnor style with the spring loaded bottom that kept the tripod from moving around was great. Many of these are 30 years old and still going.
The one problem is that most of the sticks people are using are a lot smaller, and don't fit well in these older cases.
Building a hard case out of irrigation pipe wouldn't be very hard.

On the issue of dead zippers and tears. Try going to auto upholstery shops to get them repaired. Jeep soft tops are full of these big zippers, and most of these shops can fix these no problem. They could probably fix tripod bags too.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:55:45 pm

Good tip on the auto upholstery shops.
May do that.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:55:39 am

PortaBrace.

Not cheap at all. But my main tripod field bag is more than 15 years old and it's still going strong.

I have to hose it out and scrub it down every time it gets soiled, but that's about it.

YMMV.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:54:52 pm

[Bill Davis] "PortaBrace."

I'd second that. I have used a lot of PB, and it holds up well. They will repair their stuff when it needs it. I like that too.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:54:03 pm

Love PortaBrace - Worth it. Always had a PB cam bag.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02:23 pm

We use some nice PBs with built-in backpack straps. These are an awesome addition.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:46:21 am

We use SKB rolling golf club cases. They ship well as checked luggage and because they look like golf clubs the baggage handlers don't beat them up like they do with production cases. However they fall apart after about 2 years, so we salvage handles and clasps as spare parts and replace. For us it is important to have something with wheels because most shoots are one guy, and you need to be mobile without an equipment cart.

For just a tripod there is some extra room inside so we'll throw in some extension cords or just some sheets of acoustic foam as padding. And if we have a local shoot, we'll just carry the tripod raw or in the canvas bag, but I agree, those things just don't hold up.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Afsheen Aziz
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:14:10 pm

I treat my gear very well. It's an investment and I baby all my video gear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]