FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Recommendations for New High School Football Video Scoreboard Production

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cliff Kling
Camera Recommendations for New High School Football Video Scoreboard Production
on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:02:12 am

Greetings all,

The high school where I have the privilege of working is installing a new 13.5' x 24' Daktronics DVX 15mm video scoreboard. We are gearing up for the production and operation of the board now. We will be running live video, Show Control, and replay video through a Tricaster Studio (http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-studio-home.html ). We are also contemplating a 3Play 330 multi-angle replay solution (http://www.newtek.com/products/3play-330-home.html ) The video board is 16:9, but the matrix is not physically large enough to have HD resolution. Thus, the Tricaster Studio was specified which is a 480i platform.

Even though the Tricaster is a 480i platform, we want to get the highest quality cameras we can afford that make sense for this application. Of course we will want native 16:9 cameras, which I assume will all be HD capable.

Can you all recommend cameras in the $2,000 to $6,000 range that would work well for our production? Since we are dealing with a 480i signal, what advantages if any will the more expensive cameras offer us?

I also read the thread on wireless video, and it looks like the IDX-CW5 is the least expensive option out there. Is there anything less expensive for us since we don't need to send an HD signal?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Cliff

Return to posts index

Cliff Kling
Re: Camera Recommendations for New High School Football Video Scoreboard Production
on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:58:25 am

So after doing further research this evening, a few things seem to be shaping up as requirements:

First, it looks as if the camera must have an SDI output to get the uncompressed signal to our 3Play/Tricaster production platform.

Second, I'm reading that for live action sports, CCD sensors are preferred to CMOS sensors due to known problems associated with CMOS--including skew and "wobble."

Third, I want a camera that has a large zoom to be able to get tight shots.

In our price range, I'm not seeing a lot of options, but here is one that seems to fit the bill: JVC GY-HM710U (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/797554-REG/JVC_GY_HM710U_GY_HM710_ProHD_Compact_Shoulder.html). Any thoughts on this camera? Any better or less expensive alternatives out there?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Camera Recommendations for New High School Football Video Scoreboard Production
on Jun 18, 2012 at 3:03:39 pm

The jvc is a good camera. It might be a good entry point Depending on your distance the standard lens might not give you the super tight shot you would want foe football, but you do have have the ability to expand later.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Jason Robinson
on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:10:01 am

Cliff, my high school is also doing the same thing. I decided to go a different route and use mostly Blackmagic Design broadcast equipment. We did purchase a 3play 425 for replay. We chose an the HD model for our live web broadcasts. I chose to go with Panasonic's HPX250 cameras. It has a great zoom and records with broadcast quality 4:2:2 color. I will have the cameras in hand next week and I plan on posting some test footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]