FORUMS: list search recent posts

shot log software and hardware

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
shot log software and hardware
on May 7, 2012 at 9:36:26 pm

For very long interviews, it would be great to have something which helps with note-taking. I'd like to offer a producer an iPad with software which allows him/her to tap (discreetly) every time the interviewee says something useful, so that we don't have to wade through hours of footage a month later, when we get down to editing.

"MovieSlate" for the iOS devices looks good, though it may be overkill. I don't need frame-accurate timecode - I would shoot time-of-day and use the same on the device. I don't need or want shot logs - just a means of winnowing down and, more importantly, making sure that a great sound bite doesn't get overlooked, in the editing room.

Simplicity is key. If the interviewer has to look down at the device, or make several keystrokes, that would get in the way of the interviewer/interviewee interchange. On the other hand, if the software allowed ratings (as in, one tap for "GOOD" and two rapid taps for "GREAT"), that would be very helpful (since the definition of "great" tends to change during an interview).

I'm facing a big interviewing project starting soon, so I would thank you very much for any suggestions. I know I've asked about this before, but not since NAB, and I would like to know of any recent developments.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: shot log software and hardware
on May 8, 2012 at 4:25:30 pm

You know, I can talk to one my friends who develops iOS apps. This seems pretty simple and might be up his alley (He's an actor and director himself)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: shot log software and hardware
on May 8, 2012 at 5:31:04 pm

That would be great. But I have no idea whether the market for this is one person or many. There are only 168 ratings for MovieSlate on the iTunes Store.

Another idea would be to incorporate audio recording (not necessarily high fidelity), and a way to use something like PluralEyes to link to the camera files, so that the "taps" would create (tail) markers on an NLE timeline.

I know I already mentioned this, but being able to use multiple taps for rating would be pretty cool too.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]