FORUMS: list search recent posts

UK Filmmaking forums?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wood
UK Filmmaking forums?
on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:03:18 pm

Hi, I'm really not sure where to put this.

Basically, I'd like to find some good forums for amateur / independent / student filmmakers where we can all get together and discuss and offer advice on filmmaking.

For example, I could make posts on there like "Does anybody know any good places to shoot an interior scene for a medieval style film?" or things like "Tips for shooting outdoors in the wind"

Etc etc.

I'm in a film course at University but our lecturers aren't very helpful with actual shooting technique, so I would rather learn it and get advice from people who have real experience.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: UK Filmmaking forums?
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:02:32 pm

there are a lot of UK shooters who visit the DVXuser forum that might be a place to start

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: UK Filmmaking forums?
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:53:24 pm

There's really no good substitute for hands on experience and direct observation. Often times this is first gained through unpaid internships or just plain volunteering to help out on a friend's shoot as often as the chance presents itself. In both cases you will have great opportunities to see how lights are rigged, mics concealed, camera moves blocked and so on. While you can learn from trial and error (which you invariably will) and you may pick up a few ideas from others also just starting out, it won't be necessarily a fast way to get ahead.

Speaking of which:
[Chris Wood] "
Basically, I'd like to find some good forums for amateur / independent / student filmmakers where we can all get together and discuss and offer advice on filmmaking."

In many respects you've already found a great resource here in the COW. While there are many newbies posting here, and many, many more lurking, there is also a huge number of seasoned pros. Ask questions in the Lighting Design and Cinematography forums in particular and the chances are fairly high that your questions will be addressed by people working in the highest levels of the film and television industries.

Also, don't forget that the majority of the COW forums have archives which go back several years. There is a LOT of information there as well in the hundreds (or is it thousands) of tutorials.

And a small plug for the forum I helped start, don't hesitate to visit the COW's "Business & Marketing" forum when you're ready for advice on pricing and selling your services as well as dozens of other topics related to making a living in this business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]