FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Field Monitor is the best choice for my CANON XF300?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CHristopher Eric Outridge
Which Field Monitor is the best choice for my CANON XF300?
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:08:09 pm

Hello everyone, I have a question. I just recently purchased a CANON XF300, and I am looking for a field monitor to use on my shoots. I have narrowed it down to two different monitors of the IKAN brand and I have a question. I believe I already know the answer, I am just looking for a second opinion on my thoughts.

the first monitor is this 7inch HDMI LCD MONITOR

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747292-REG/Ikan_VH7_C_VH7_C_7_HDMI_LC...

the second is this 8.9 inch HD - SDI LCD MNITOR

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683669-REG/Ikan_VX9_C_VX9_8_9_HD_SDI_...

I believe that the best choice would be the 7 inch HDMI Monitor, as I feel that the 8.9 inch monitor offers a bunch of feature that I do not want / or can't even use (for example, I have no use for the SDI / BNC inputs since the CANON XF300 doesn't have this feature). Why spend the money on extra features you have no usage for right?

Although both monitors have 1024 X 600 Resolution, only the 8.9 inch monitor offers 1080i/p. The CANON XF300 shoots at a 1920 X 1080 Resolution at between 1080i - 40i/p.

Here is my question, comparing between the two monitors, how will the quality of my picture be? Will the 7 inch monitor be a waste because is doesn't have 1080i/p? Should i spend the extra money for the 8.9, even though it conatins features i don't need nor will ever want? Does it even matter since both montiors have the same picture resolution and the same HDMI input?

I think I already know the answer, I just want a second opinion. THanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Which Field Monitor is the best choice for my CANON XF300?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:45:01 pm

Are you shooting in the field or in studio? Are you looking to get it for more theatrical shoots or something else? I ask because I have a SmallHD larger monitor (8.5") and I've not used it as much as I thought I would. The larger size in the field is pretty hard to mount effectively on top of the xf305, but in studio where I'm locking it down for longer periods, it is fine. Either way, you might find that buying a mounting arm is worth the money, to get it off the camera to the right or left. Zacuto makes such a thing for their rigs, as do some others.

Any reason you aren't looking at either SmallHD or Marshall? Both seem to make pretty good monitors.

And lastly, if you were interested, I'd likely part with mine because of lack of use. My clients haven't really cared much about viewing things through the monitor, so I've stopped bringing it into the studio for our shoots. It's just another thing to worry about that hasnt panned out as planned. It has 1280x768 resolution. I'd sell it for a price that likely would be somewhere around 500, as I have a bunch of accessories for it, like an extra battery. While the unit is now discontinued, the batteries are still readily available from SD. The link for looking at it is here
http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP1x.html

Contact me off list if you wish.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]