FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slider or Dolly? (My first post)

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike McLaughlin
Slider or Dolly? (My first post)
on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:44:19 am

I ask this question because I am in process of building my rig. If its a stupid question, please forgive me. I slightly know the obvious difference, but would there be any reason to invest in both (on a budget), or just go with a dolly/track? I just recently bought the CobraCrane 1 and am just looking for some tools to enhance my production value so I dont have to make up for it in post-production. Thanks in advance.

Mike Traum for Contrack

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Slider or Dolly? (My first post)
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59:50 pm

If I'm reading your post correctly you're talking about the difference between a slider that can track a subject for about a yard (.9144 meters) versus a dolly which is either limited by how much track you lay, say 10 feet (3+ meters) or more, or, if you have a lot of track or are on wheels on the floor, a lot more. It all kind of depends on what you're shooting. Is your subject a foot tall object (slider) or the length of a room / one or more people (dolly)?

Personally I like flexible tracks, in my case the "Spider Dolly" because it can go in a straight line or be curved to do a 270 degree or more swing around a subject. But then I'm usually shooting bigger things.

To get back to your question, though, both add production value and both require a level of practice to obtain smooth results. If you get skilled with the Cobra Crane you may find that you have enough control of movement that you don't need either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]