FORUMS: list search recent posts

Travel discount on baggage for film professionals

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Travel discount on baggage for film professionals
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:15:59 pm

Hey, any one out there know of a discount on baggage fees from airlines specifically for the film industry?

Mostly travel within the 48 contiguous states....

Thanks!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Travel discount on baggage for film professionals
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:07:58 pm

I'm not aware of any. I'd think large studios could pull it off but they also freight a majority. If you're traveling with a substantial amount of gear it may be worth looking into UPS to freight it for you.

Return to posts index

Thomas Miller
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:01:41 pm

Hi Rich,

We regularly travel with 8 to 12 additional bags - some of them weighing well over the 50 lb limit. Even though we get reimbursed by our clients, we still fight for the media rate to save them money. Most airlines do give us a media rate - which can add up to a substantial discount. Used to be that you could just show them a business card - but now they have gotten more stringent. So we show them a press pass from whomever has hired us - whether it be ESPN, ABC, or one of the other networks. If it's a corporate shoot it can be a bit tougher, but even then some kind of media pass with your picture will often suffice. It's all very subjective, and much depends on the experience and mood of the United Airlines CSR or whoever you are dealing with. I've had both legs of the same trip add up to amounts that differ by hundreds!

Good luck and safe travels!

Tom Miller
Big Pictures Media
Denver, Colorado

http://www.BigPicturesMedia.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:38:18 pm

I agree that pre-9/11 you could get away with a lot. Oh, I work for the news - discount! I'm shooting a documentary - discount. What's in this long plastic tube? A bazooka - laughter all around. Nowadays you would go to jail.

Recently I asked about media discount and was told I would need a laminated press pass. Not sure who makes these rules. Delta is the worst. I paid $580 for 5 pieces of luggage in EACH DIRECTION. They actually charge you for bags from #1. Highway robbery as my grandpa would say. It is almost as if they don't want you to fly, or they only want business travelers with 1 small carry-on.

JetBlue and Southwest appreciate their customers and give you the first two bags free then modest fees thereafter. Only problem is they don't fly everywhere. On a recent trip I took Southwest to the first location, then switched to Delta for the other legs - saved about $400 in baggage fees.

Another fee is the Southwest Business Select - adds $20 per leg and allows you to be the first or second person on the plane. Well worth it to not have to do the cattle call at the gate.

I could go on...but I'll reserve the rest for a blog post.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]