FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best camera for 24 hour footage

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lara popyack
Best camera for 24 hour footage
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:46:30 am

I have a daytime talk show that wants a camera mounted to watch a 24 hour period in a house. ANyone have a camera they suggest? It does not have to "hidden". Thanks

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Best camera for 24 hour footage
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:42:18 pm

Couple of questions:
-Does it need to be broadcast quality?
-Does it need to be small (i.e. out of the way rather than in the way?
-What about audio?
-How will you handle card changes?
-Are you trying to do time lapse or actually capturing everything and editing it down later?

If I had to do something that, for broadcast quality I'd likely go with an AF100 or xf300 from Canon, maybe an EX from Sony. Dual slot cards in the xf300 along with chaining the cards allows you to get a lot of footage on them. Overheating on HDSLs over that length of time would make them likely unsuitable for it. All the pro cameras allow you to plug in a power cord to the camera, so batteries don't need to be used.

The xf300 (or maybe it's smaller single chip cousin the 100) would be pretty much out of the way, but the lens is not all that wide. You might need to get an adapter lens for super wide angle. The AF100 from Panny and the ex allows a separate lens to be attached.

Alf

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:27:22 pm

Look into surveillance and webcam options recording to a DVR.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

lara popyack
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:39:21 pm

Thanks for the ideas .... it does have to be broadcast ...!

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:38:39 pm

Atomos Ninja, with 2 large NPF batteries attached will run for 25hrs, already tested it. 750gb spinning drive will give 18hrs of Pro Res LT. If it's not covert, you can leave the camera plugged in on charge, on standby just disable autoshutdown, make sure you disable shop display mode. If SD is good enough I know a 500GB drive is good for 37.5 hours.

Alternatively for small and battery powered. Buy the Contour+, run out the HDMI to the Atomos box. Power with a USB Li Ion battery charger pack like what you can get for charging iPhones on the go. I've developed a 3 cell Li ion torch battery power pack to power ContourGPS pov cameras for 12hrs in endurance race cars recording to card.

When SSD's become cheap enough and big enough, I'll mount a ninja in an endurance race car, hooked up by hdmi to external usb battery powered contour+.

As for cameras, as i say whatever you like and can afford with HDMI, or SDi when the samuari arrives.

Return to posts index

Daniell Foreman
on Dec 30, 2011 at 2:44:24 pm

I have read with interest your answer concerning a hook up Contour gps+ camera with Atomos ninja with HDMI connection. We want to do this to record the image plus gps position so as to correlate image with position.
My question is will the atomos record the image and the gps position?
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ivan Radley
on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:05:06 pm

It is worth checking with the camera manufacturer if they send GPS data over HDMI. This would be the only way a Ninja would be able to capture ancillary data from a camera.

Ivan Radley.
Atomos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]