FORUMS: list search recent posts

BEST HD MINIDV Camera Under $ 3,200 ?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angelous
BEST HD MINIDV Camera Under $ 3,200 ?
on Aug 13, 2011 at 6:37:32 am

Hi, does anybody can recommend the best possible HD mini DV camera for 3,200 Dls or bellow ? any specific model according to your knowledge?
Thank you !!!!!!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: BEST HD MINIDV Camera Under $ 3,200 ?
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:57:45 pm

[Richard Angelous] "Hi, does anybody can recommend the best possible HD mini DV camera for 3,200 Dls or bellow ? any specific model according to your knowledge?"

For what type of use, who do you deliver too? What is your post production pipeline?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Richard Angelous
on Aug 14, 2011 at 5:30:25 am

From TV advertisements, corporate videos, private events, sports, among others, and it must be delivered as soon as I finish on Mini DV, no time for transfers, and my budget is 3,200 dls

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:09:03 pm

[Richard Angelous] "From TV advertisements, corporate videos, private events, sports, among others, and it must be delivered as soon as I finish on Mini DV, no time for transfers, and my budget is 3,200 dls"

Well thats a pretty tall order for a 3k camera, and not having the time to transcode the footage to whatever the client needs. I don't think such a camera exists. Your best bet is to either rent, or hire a shooter with the gear that is compatible with your clients needs.
For broadcast you probably want something that shoots interlaced, but for other purposes, not so much. And some broadcasters want 720, while others want 1080. Some will take either, and some won't. And when you say "HD mini DV camera", I'm assuming you mean HDV. And it that is the case there are two different flavors of HDV, that are not compatible. So whichever one you pick, the clients that use the other format can't play your tape. And then there is the issue of what frame rate to shoot?
It isn't like the old days when you could run around with a Betacam, and have 99% assurance that you could just pop out the tape and give it to the client and they would be able to work with it. There are just to many standards and formats now that don't directly interchange. The typical way around this is to capture the footage and transcode it.
This is the mythical quest for the one size fits all gadget, that is also budget priced, and super easy to use. If such a device exists, it is usually comprised in some way, much like the Swiss Army knife. It has a hundred different functions, but doesn't do any of them even half as well as the stand alone single purpose tool.
I suppose if it were that cheap and easy (aka "the easy button") to get into 'the biz' we would have an additional million wannabe's more that what we have now.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Richard Angelous
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:18:54 am

Thank You Scott, yes a mean HDV only on mini DV tape format, because my clientes only accepts mini DV tapes, I did not mean transcode, I meant deliver, thanks, so are you saying that recording on HDV on miniDV tapes there are 2 kinds of standards ? incompatible ?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:15:28 pm

[Richard Angelous] " I meant deliver, thanks, so are you saying that recording on HDV on miniDV tapes there are 2 kinds of standards ? incompatible ?"

Thats right. HDV 1 (commonly used by JVC) and HDV 2 (commonly used by Sony) are different formats that both use the miniDV tape. There are no playback machines that will play both HDV formats, and no cameras that record both. The Sony is more popular than JVC, but not necessarily the better format.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Richard Angelous
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:44:36 am

Wow, thanks for enlightme Scott, I did not know that

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:57:59 pm

not sure whay you want HDV today but you'll find old FX1 ont he cheap on ebay all day long.

Return to posts index

Richard Angelous
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:22:55 am

actually my customers need HD video 1080 but recorded only on mini DVD tapes, they don't want other choice, only mini dv tapes, the FX1 is not bad idea, but my concern is what to expect from a second hand FX1, maybe works good, maybe some working deffects, its up to luck

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:56:08 pm

Your gonna roll the dice no matter what HDV camera ya get in this day in age. I'd go for cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]