FORUMS: list search recent posts

Value of an archive

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Johnson
Value of an archive
on Aug 10, 2011 at 2:33:46 am

Hi All,

Here's an email I sent earlier today to Rick Prelinger, one of the founders of the Internet Archive. (If you haven't checked it out, you should!)

If anyone has a lead on this, please let me know through this thread and I'll reply off-list.

Regards,

Chuck Johnson
Big Bad Wolf Creative Group
Fort Worth, Texas
817-429-0818
-----------------

Hi Rick,

First of all, let me thank you for your work in media and website preservation. As it is written on the website, without your work, we would have a digital dark-age for future generations of researchers.

My question is a simple one, but the answer is difficult. How does one place a monetary value on an archive?

I have a client who creates content for the education market; specifically, elementary, middle-school and high-school. Their product is currently mastered on tape and distributed in a DVD format although, prior to 2000, they were distributed through VHS tapes back to 1986. Now, they want to go through a three-year transition period from DVD distribution to internet distribution.

The challenge is obtaining capital toward this transition. My client has a great relationship with his bank throughout the past 25 years but the bank is playing hardball and wants a “value” of their library of competed programs, their raw footage and looking forward, their new programs they intend to create over the next three years, and how much “value” their existing programs have in the building of the new programs(as b-roll).

I have researched numerous online resources and there is really no place where I can find specific methodologies in placing a value on the above assets.

Do you know of a person or other resource that has experience in this type of work?

I look forward to any leads you might have.

Sincerely,

Chuck Johnson
President, Big Bad Wolf Creative Group
Fort Worth, Texas
817-429-0818
http://www.bbwcg.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]