FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Interview Chair

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Best Interview Chair
on Jul 24, 2011 at 1:04:29 am

Looking for options of the best chair for studio use for interviews. I envision an armless chair with lower back support and a decent amount of vertical adjustment, with swivel but has a swivel lock. No wheels.

Went to the Stool store here locally and nothing struck me. Seems like it would be a basic office task like chair with a very low-profile back support and no wheels but plenty of vertical adjustment.

We have also used a decent stool, but seems it would be even better with a small lower back support and vertical adjustment.

Thoughts?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Best Interview Chair
on Jul 24, 2011 at 9:45:04 pm

I just use the ubiquitous Costco "blue seat" cheap hard-backed chairs.

I don't want ANY swivel. (10% of your interviewees will start the "nerve shimmy" given a swivel chair of any kind!)

I couldn't find ANYTHING that was height adjustable and not also swivel-able. (is that even a word?)
If I MUST adjust the seat height - that's why God allowed humans to invent apple boxes.

I don't want to see the chair. I want to see the person in the chair - so it's appearance is way down the list of important things to me.

My criteria are strong over flimsy - cheap over expensive - forgettable over distinctive - and something that can be the HERO chair one minute and a craft services chair the next.

That they stack to store is a sweet bonus!

End of story.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:08:53 pm

I would suggest that the most important consideration in an interview is that the person being interviewed be comfortable. Get a comfortable small chair with arm rests, make them feel at home and frame out the objectionable elements. If you've got an interesting interview the viewer will not be looking for a corner of an arm rest, etc., otherwise the viewer will be drumming their fingers with boredom and it won't matter what they're sitting on.
Good luck,
Ken

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:55:59 pm

If the interviewee is "drumming their fingers" it means one thing and one thing only.

An incompetent interviewer.

End of story.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:19:43 pm

No wheels.
No swivel.
No arms.
Minimalist/narrow fixed back.
Darker color surface. Prefer fabric, leather has a tendency to squeak.

I take a stool with me since it's easy to carry, in case there isn't a good option when I get there.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:15:27 pm

the most comfy.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:15:35 pm

My framing almost always is well above the area of any chair arms so they're not an issue. So as Scott said, no wheels, no swivels ... yet still there are certain people who want to lean forward during parts of an interview and when working with a shallow DOF this is a problem. I'm ready to resort to framing only the face so the gaffer's tape I've used to wrap around, them tying them to the back of the chair, won't show.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:59:48 pm

Love this idea!

I'm making this my new interview standard and replacing the term "wide shot" in my vocabulary with "hostage shot" just so I won't forget!

Thanks Nick!

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:53:12 pm

and make sure the chair doesn't creak or groan if the sitter shuffles.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]