FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any recommendations for an SD card reader?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Any recommendations for an SD card reader?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:12:33 am

I have these old card readers that are unreliable and often seem to lose their connection with the computer halfway through a transfer. So, I'm going to buy a new reader. Anyone have a recommendation for one? I use a MacBook Pro if that somehow impacts the answer.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Any recommendations for an SD card reader?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:56:25 am

I have two in my kit.

The "expensive" one is a SanDIsk Imagemate SDDR-92 CF reader. It was probably about $40 bucks.

The cheap one is a Digital Concepts "6-slots Hi speed 51 in 1 Card reader/writer. It probably cost $8

Both work just fine via USB.

I own both because in my experience, it's pretty easy to bend the delicate pins on a CF card - and the SanDisk unit has a much better engineered card feed slot - so the chance of bending a pin on the CF downloads that I do all the time on my 5d footage rolloffs are easier.

The cheap one reads virtually ALL card formats. I use it mostly for smaller cards like SD, memory stick, etc - devices that don't have those hair fine pins.

I have used the cheap one to read CF data - I'm just VERY careful about seating the cards since I don't want to screw up the pins.

My 2 cents.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]