FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4 audio recorder

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Long
Zoom H4 audio recorder
on May 12, 2011 at 1:24:20 am

Despite following the manual (I think anyway) I cannot get an acceptable level when recording with an external mic. The built in mics work great--good volume. But plug in a mic change the source to input 1&2 and the record level is way down. Any one know something I have not found in the manual?
Thank you
Jim

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Zoom H4 audio recorder
on May 12, 2011 at 11:55:02 pm

What kind of mic?

If it's a dynamic, then the incoming signal will be reasonably low by nature and having to turn gain up to get a clear signal (within reason) isn't very strange.

OTOH, if your mic is an electret design, you probably have to turn on the H4n's phantom power in the menu in order to properly power the mic.

It's also possible that cable or mic or even the unit itself is defective.

All possibilities that require traditional gain structure troubleshooting to track down and solve.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

James Harrison
on May 17, 2011 at 10:56:55 am

Have you tried adjusting the iput levels? There are switches on the side more importantly the level or internal audiobgain controls.

Return to posts index

Jim Long
on May 21, 2011 at 8:15:00 pm

Thanks, guys, for responding. Boosting the levels to 120 gets an acceptable wave form, I just don't think it is good to peg any control. Thanks again,
jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]