FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ever Wish You Had A Chair, Stool or Even Knee Pads?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Crow
Ever Wish You Had A Chair, Stool or Even Knee Pads?
on Apr 24, 2011 at 3:48:54 pm

Okay, I turned 50 this March so I am not as young as some of you guys and gals but I frequently find myself with the camera mounted in a pretty low tripod position or I'm trying for that low, low shot near the ground and boy! do my knees and elbows ache from the pressure and rubbing -

Have you found any useful solutions? I was thinking even a small pillow to rest one knee on would be better than nothing!!

Return to posts index

Jerry Jorgenson
Re: Ever Wish You Had A Chair, Stool or Even Knee Pads?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:31:08 pm

Go to your local hardware store and purchase some knee pads from the tiling section.

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:10:54 pm

Camping supply stores have various sized folding stools and chairs. Also the gardening departments of Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart, etc. have cushioned canvas covered knee pads for working on the ground. I carry them all on shoots.
Ken

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:16:15 pm

Yep, all good ideas - In certain situations, like filming in a client's corporate office, marching in wearing knee pads might look a little odd (but maybe that's just my vanity speaking) but certainly a small camping stool would be ideal. Outdoors, by myself, knee pads, elbow pads, heck even a crash helmet if I thought it would help would all be fair game :-)

I even thought of those thin blue camping foam ground coverings designed to go under your sleeping bag would be good for lying down on the ground.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:51:47 pm

These are great little folding step stools. Very light weight and fold up to about the same size as a set of 2K barn doors.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1378227

Good quality knee pads should always be in the kit. Extended kneeling when shooting handheld is much easier with pads. So is gaffing down long runs of cables. For places where this wouldn't be fashionable and you're not moving around a lot, one of those door mat sized carpet samples is nice to have on hand.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:31:09 am

All of the clients that I have (national tv, regional tv and local) are substantially more impressed by one who is imaginatively prepared for various shooting situations than one who is not. I carry what I need for a job and I don't care what it looks like to an unsophisticate . . . and I've been shooting for over 60 years.
Have fun.

Return to posts index

Scott Rachal
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:30:52 pm

We use one of these. $26 at Harbor Freight.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:16:32 am

Have you discussed this with a doctor? Maybe it is just the inevitable passage of time, but I started noticing that kind of aches and pains around age 40 and it turned out to be the early stages of arthritis. I now have medication for it and at 48 I'm effectively in better shape now than I was 5 years ago (arthritis isn't really cureable, but the modern pills are very good at keeping it under control so having it doesn't affect my lifestyle). I hope that doesn't sound like scaremongering, I wouldn't want anyone to jump to any conclusions (or get sucked into the alt-med fraudsters) without speaking to a medical professional.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 24, 2011 at 8:51:15 pm

I suggest checking out the gardening suppyl section of a hardware store for a simple foam pad designed for kneeling.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:56:42 am

I have both!
Folding three leg stool is the most used for interviews, just the right height for me to look up into the VF and not get sore for the hour or so I'm shooting. Kneepads, and heavy gloves as well.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:09:23 am

I had just finished up filming a clip on a little sand dune on the beach and upon getting up (not being very coordinated to begin with) I ending up rolling partway down the small dune because of my awkward crouched position. :-)

A little stool would have been ideal there...still haven't gotten one BTW but I am always thinking about doing so...until then I will be rolling down small hills I guess!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]