Shooting POV into a bathroom mirror

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Shooting POV into a bathroom mirror
on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:01:17 pm

Hallo Everybody,

I have a certain shooting on location problem. Here is the scene:
The character is coming out of a toilet booth in a bar, walking towards the sink & the bath room mirror, looking up and seeing himself in the mirror. The whole shot should appear as a one taker, POV of the character.
How can this be done, so the DOP is replaced with the acctual character looking at himself. The whole shot should be or at least appear to be handhold.

Thanx a lot for any suggestions.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Shooting POV into a bathroom mirror
on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:39:19 pm

I have seen many scenes in which the camera start as a POV then the character enters the frame in the last minute and the shot stops being subjective. I believe that's in many Scorsese movies.

If your director likes this kind of solution you can avoid doing all the complex, more expensive, green-screen work that replace the mirrored image will suppose.

Sorry no direct answer to your question, maybe other COWer has an easy technical solution. But I love the POV-to-character kind of shots, anyway.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:13:28 pm

Interesting Option. Even though I think the director really wants the POV all the way through.
But i like this concept. Which film of him you can recall and which scene where he used that?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:06:19 pm

How about doing what Fernando suggests only making the cut to a camera positioned as if it were the mirror? The actor looking straight into the camera washes his/her face, brushes his/her hair and otherwise stares into the camera as if using a mirror sells the scene.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:22:51 pm

You might be able to cheat the mirror by angling it slightly, and having the camera shooting over the shoulder of the character, slightly off to the side. If it isn't on screen long you may be able to get away with it. But I think you would have to be the luckiest person in town for this to actually work without altering the angels and sight lines so much that it looked odd.

I think the best idea is to do a green screen shot.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

yuke ward
on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:23:11 pm

... or (maybe) you could make a false wall with two identical sinks, one beneath each side of the hole=mirror/window. Then have the camera and the actor walk simultaneously towards the sink from each side of the wall

a bit like this:

Return to posts index

yuke ward
on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:31:04 pm

... or (maybe) you could make a false wall with two identical sinks, one beneath each side of the hmirror=hole/window. Then have the camera and the actor walk simultaneously towards the sink from each side of the wall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]