FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have an issue with shooting a car rearview mirror

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hutton
I have an issue with shooting a car rearview mirror
on Feb 23, 2011 at 7:20:20 am

I am part of a team shooting a short this weekend, the majority of the film takes place in a car and several of the shots are looking at the rearview mirror to the passenger in the backseat. We will be hauling the car around on a trailer and truck. An issue I see is that in the rearview mirror shots we will see the cab of the truck that will be hauling us around. I am fairly experienced in After Effects and compositing and I know I can comp in some footage, but am not 100% how great it will look and don't want to say yes it will be fine. Has anyone had experience with this? Any solutions?

Thanks!

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: I have an issue with shooting a car rearview mirror
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:47:01 pm

Yo9u would have to shoot so tight that the background (truck towing you) is not seen or so outta focus - it won't matter.
Can you climb in a car back seat right not and test? How much do you see past the mirror?
Good of you to think about it before hand.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jon Hutton
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:13:47 am

Yes I think the thing we are going to do is just shoot a shallow depth of field, I can't really do any tests until the day of the shoot, I know I wouldn't be able to achieve exactly what I want in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:11:36 am

I think that I would approach this project a couple of different ways.

1) Invert the camera and place it close to the roof of the car, so that you are shooting down at the mirror. Tip the mirror to see your subject and let anything seen through the windshield blow out. Flip the pix back in post.

2) Place the camera anywhere you want it for the shot and place thin tough frost on the outside of the windshield. Let it blow out.

Most likely any of your interior car shots will have the exterior backgrounds blown out unless you plan on really frying your actors to match with a proper exterior exposure.

Good luck,
Ken

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:37:49 pm

So I'm imagining sitting in a car and looking into the rear view mirror. From the driver's or passenger's POV it's quite an angle, so I'd think you could even be just outside of the car to fudge it a bit more and then you'd be shooting past the side of the truck in front of you. The rear view mirror from the back seat would be right on the truck in front of you, but I can't think of a reason for that shot anyway. You could pretty much frame your shot any way you like and bend that mirror to your will, they'll swivel all over the place.

I don't know where you are but could you camo the truck with something similar to your terrain? You could probably by fabric from a craft store in any of the camo patterns that you see around. Or something greyish to make it look like the road. If you just catch the edge of the truck and it's pretty out of focus anyway it might just work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]