FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need a new tripod

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dow
I need a new tripod
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:11:29 pm

Thanks to American Airlines in Miami I need to shop for a new tripod. If my budget permits only $1600 what should I be looking at? My main camera is a HVX200a, but I also use the full size DVCPRO610 camcorders as well.

I had a Vinten Vision, but open to trying something different.

JPD

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: I need a new tripod
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:53:35 pm

I bought a Cartoni last summer and I love it. $1200-$1500 range.
Wonderful Fluid head.
B&H.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:57:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check into those.

JPD

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Mar 7, 2011 at 4:21:21 pm

I picked up a Cartoni Focus system. I like it, but I don't think the levers are going to be very durable.

JPD

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 11, 2011 at 9:12:47 pm

Probably not want to hear, but...

Spend what it takes to buy a used Sachtler. (It WILL be more than $1,600 for anything but the smallest one -- which isn't the best choice in that price range.) With a decent-sized Sachtler you will then have sticks and a head that are likely to last a career (or two).

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:10:38 pm

Thank you Nick. I am budgeting for a new Sachtler next fiscal year..I just needed something to get me through until July. At my age it better last a career. :)
The Cartoni should get me through the next 4 months.

JPD

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:46:04 am

I've been really impressed with the tripod reviews at http://www.dvuser.co.uk/tripods.php. I recently picked up a Lebec RS250 based on their reviews. I would recommend it over Manfrotto. My Manfrotto has been a good tripod, but the ergonomic issues that are pointed out at DVUSER are real. He rates Lebec as 5 star and gives Manfrotto 2 stars. You can find them for good prices for Lebec on Ebay. Try and find a product at a pawnshop, as they occasionally get them and are willing to negotiate (I always put in a lower bid to see if I can get them cheaper). My Lebec as 50% off list. I also picked up a great Pelican case at a pawnshop (different from the one I bought the Lebec at), for a ridiculously cheap price.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]