FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to shot a computer screen

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
How to shot a computer screen
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:36:54 am

I am not really sure where to post this and I am sorry if it's in the wrong place.
I see tutorials on You Tube where they are showing how to use computer software. How are they filming the computer? The shots seem to be way to too nice for just a camera shot at the computer screen.

Is it a special camera or software? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: How to shot a computer screen
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:30:04 am

There are ways to replace the computer monitor in post. If the talent interacts with the computer and partially blocks it then you can display a green color and key it out it in post (a green PowerPoint slide in sideshow mode can do the trick).

But with some modern monitors there are controls for color temperature and frequency that can give you a very clean shot. You need to have control over the lighting and adjust the monitor, but it's possible.

Return to posts index

Thomas Miller
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:35:58 am

Hi Linda,

We've had good luck with a product called Camtasia for Mac. Avail for PC too. It records all the actions on your computer screen, and outputs to any file type you want. No need to shoot. There are probably also some less expensive alternatives as well. But you're right, the best of those tutorials you are seeing are capturing the screen, not shooting it. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

Tom Miller
Big Pictures Media
Denver, Colorado

http://www.BigPicturesMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:14:14 pm

I second Camtasia. They have a 30 day free trial as well.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:44:42 am

Linda,

You don't mention what kind of computer system you're working with, but if you have access to a Mac - there's an EXCELLENT screen capture program built directly into Quicktime.

Just launch the Quicktime Player - then select "new screen recording" under the file menu. You'll get a bar with a red button. Click that and you start recording everything on your desktop. Command-control-escape stops the recording (explained in the interface)

(Just don't forget to STOP recording of you'll chew up a LOT of hard drive space!!!)

Have fun.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]