FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm researching equipment for building a workstation, cameras, mics, tripods etc.

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam young
I'm researching equipment for building a workstation, cameras, mics, tripods etc.
on Feb 12, 2011 at 7:34:19 am

I'm "building" a workstation for a class. My budget is a fictional $20,000, I know I need a camera, mic laptop, lenses, lighting, tower, software, and tripod. I'm curious what I'm leaving out and if anyone can help me with suggestions on what else I need (and what I shouldn't use). Any and all help getting familiar with production and postproduction equipment to use will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: I'm researching equipment for building a workstation, cameras, mics, tripods etc.
on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:03:38 pm

20K when your starting from scratch might be a little low if you are starting with nothing, but it can be done. I'm assuming this budget is for equipment only, and not salaries too.

It would seem to be defeating the purpose of this exercise to just give you ready-made answers as to what equipment to buy.
I will tell you that most things in life work on three key figures/elements, etc. If you know any two of these variables, you can always find the third.
So if your assignment is to create a biz plan, or purchase plan for a fictional production company, and you have one of the elements (the budget) provided as part of the exercise. You need one of the others to find the third (the gear). What I would do is 'reverse engineer' from a specific final outcome. In other words, what will this gear be used for? Decide that, and use your provided budget to research what gear to buy that will allow you to deliver your final outcome.
There is no real answer to whats the best camera, tripod, etc. In the real world it comes down to whats the best for a given situation and budget.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

adam young
Re: I'm researching equipment for building a workstation, cameras, mics, tripods etc.
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:59:36 am

Thanks
And of course I don't want an already made production plan( that's cheating), and no it isn't including salaries. I've been researching cameras and I've heard good things about the canon eos-5d mark ii, I've put together the computers and software. Now I'm looking for ideas on lenses and tripods. I'm thinking about these lenses here; the zeiss 50mm 1.7, the canon 17-40mm f 4l and the Canon Fisheye lens - 15mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF.

For tripods I was considering the Audio Technica BP4073 Shotgun Microphone Advanced kit. (which makes me also ask the question, is it safe to by kits or is better to buy individual equipment and piece it together?)

If you have any suggestions on any of the gear I mentioned I'd definitely appreciate it, or ideas on other equipment i should look for, that would also help tons.

Return to posts index

adam young
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:04:52 am

What I would use it for would be filming independent features and editing. There wouldn't be explosions or special effects, just stories and characters, cinematography and stills.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:46:09 am

5D/7D. Lots of fan boy hype and very hip and trendy. Neither would make my top five list unless I needed a paparazzi sniper cam for doing TMZ work, or was going to shoot a lot of no permit guerrilla type stuff.
I guess if it falls in your budget and would fill the camera void, and that is the only requirement. It will do.
In the real world, these cameras have serious drawbacks that anyone choosing it would have to balance the Pro's and Con's and see if is worth using.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]