FORUMS: list search recent posts

CFL lights and call for review

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cliff jenkins
CFL lights and call for review
on Jan 24, 2011 at 9:54:35 pm

Hey! I hope you all can help me with a lighting decision. I work at a University and more bang for the buck is always a concern. I'm in the process of purchasing a lighting kit and was looking at hot lights (tungsten) with a soft box. But in searching I stumbled upon this CFL light kit that is a 5-light kit using CFL bulbs.

See it here - http://www.pclightingsystems.com/dayflo-fx/fx-7000-5-head-kit/?virtualpage5...

I know the light is daylight (blue) but they include gels to bring it more to a tungsten level. I'm just not sure why it's so inexpensive other than they're new to the game and are trying to move product.

Has anyone heard of these lights? Or do you have any wisdom regarding working with CFL light? I know overall they'll run cooler than a rifa light or the like...

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: CFL lights and call for review
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:49:20 pm

I have not heard of these b/4. This looks interesting. Maybe call them and confirm a return policy first.
There is nothing wrong with always lighting for 5600k in most cases.

It's a good deal if they are of decent quality.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:32:20 pm

I have never seen this kit, but I shoot in my studio with a lot of CFLs. They are all rated at 5600K and as long as I don't mix them with halogens, white balance has never been an issue.

One caution, however. The "watts equivalent" is *always* off by as much as 50%. In other words, if you are replacing a 500-watt halogen with CFLs, you will need 750-Watt "equivalent" in CFL.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

cliff jenkins
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:33:52 pm

Thanks to all for the input. The guy who i linked to in the original post ended up seeming kinda "sketchy" so I bailed and used another vendor. I'm happy with the performance of the lights but yeah they're really blue. I'll continue working with them.

Cliff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]