FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hypercardioid microphones handling noise.

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Zambrano
Hypercardioid microphones handling noise.
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:23:27 pm

Hello to everybody and Happy New Year!
My name is Marco Zambrano and this is my first post in a forum!
I have some doubts about hypercardioid microphones.
I bought a Beyerdynamic mc950 hypercardioid condenser microphone to use it for indoor shootings; I use it with a foam windscreen, a Rycote inv-7 lyre suspension at the top of a VdB boom pole. I like how it sounds, but the point is that I can hear too much "wind" noise when moving the boom pole around, even if I gently moove it!
Using a Hp filter helps a lot, but to filter the signal at 160 or 250 hertz is not a good solution to my ears!
I put the Beyer, without the foam windscreen, inside the Rycote windshield I use for a Sennheiser mkh 416, but I can still hear some air making some noise when mooving the boom pole!
I directly compared the Beyer with a Neumann km 150: the neumann sounded a little bit less noisy, but not a big difference.
My question is: are hypercardioids microphones prone to "wind" noise when mooving, compared to the shotguns microphones for examples, or there are some that don't show this problem?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Hypercardioid microphones handling noise.
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:35:05 am

Hello Marco,

I don't know the Beyer you're having problems with. It sort of depends on how fast you're swinging the boom. Are you positive it's wind noise and not handling or cable noise? A Rycote cage for a 416 is a pretty solid piece of gear for blocking wind.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Marco Zambrano
M/S recordings in a documentary
on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:25:08 pm

Hello to everybody.
last summer I worked on a documentary here in Italy for a german production. They asked me to use M/S technique to record everything: not only ambient soundscapes, but dialogues and interviews too. The thing I find most diffucult when using a figure of eight microphone, on a cardioid or an hypercardioid microphone, is to avoid handling noise to wich that pattern is prone (I use a rycote system with lyres and a double clip connecting the two microphones, on a vdb boom pole). I can imagine the editor will use mainly the sound from the cardioid mic for the dialogues and the interviews, leaving a bit of the figure of eight to make the sound wider, but for sure he will find some handling noise in those recordings, specially in the moving shootings (that I'm not experienced enough to be a boom operator using m/s is an option).
So I'm curious to listen to the opinion of more experienced people than me.
How useful can be to use M/S recording technique for recording every situation in a documentary?
Would you use m/s technique just for the ambient sounds?
Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Marco Zambrano
Re: Hypercardioid microphones handling noise.
on Feb 26, 2011 at 9:36:09 am

Hello,
I'm sure the problem is not cabling or handling noise.
Actually I'm using the mic for a tv series here, and I solved the problem pretty well adding a fur cover over the foam windscreen.
Is there some way to attach audio files in this forum? I have some beyer mc950 recordings for people interested; I know it's not very used, especially outside Europe.
Many thanks.

Marco

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]