FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Selection

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Falzon
Camera Selection
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:12:14 pm

I am a reporter looking to get more experience in the shooting and editing dept. I was looking for some advice for a new camera.

I am looking to shoot HD for websites like Patch.com (I know, I know, don't roll your eyes ;). In the future I'd like to be able to use the camera as a 2nd camera to a higher end, broadcast-quality (50 mbps or better) camera.

Right now given my budget and goals, I think Sony's NX5U is my best bet. I figure I can partner it up with a Nanoflash in the future to make it a good broadcast quality sit-down interview camera.

I wanted to see what you more experienced

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
Re: Camera Selection
on Jan 6, 2011 at 4:07:07 am

That's a really nice camera for the price, and I like SMPTE in though I don't ever need it myself. I'm partial to Panasonic for the price/value. Do you know what formats and workflow you need to support in your locale? I can get away with HD from Panny without needing to step up to P2 for example. I transcode my footage on Windows using Neoscene to 4:2:2 and frankly, depending on the clip, I'd defy anyone using a higher quality camera to guess what I shot with.

But if you are a sony fan, go for it! It's a camera with wonderful specs...I've not used one myself. A friend just had her Sony die from exposure to high humidity...never had that happen with my Panny. I like the EX3 line from Sony myself, but more expensive than either of us are budgeting for.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]