FORUMS: list search recent posts

Equipment advice — A good monopod for a gimbal (Ronin S) ?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Giacometti
Equipment advice — A good monopod for a gimbal (Ronin S) ?
on Nov 22, 2018 at 4:24:19 pm
Last Edited By Jacob Giacometti on Nov 22, 2018 at 4:29:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Let's see if we can find a good monopod to attach the Ronin S gimbal on, in order to really maximise its potential and create even more amazing shots.
I just don't know anything about monopods, and hoping some of you have some good advices to share, especially about what model(s) would be a good fit.

I think it should be :
- slightly more on the longer side
- robust, strong - more than enough to not feel like we're straining the monopod or the gimbal's grip when carrying it, especially horizontally (nobody wants to see it flexing too much and start wondering if it's gonna hold!) — in my case + GH4 camera and lens, around 4 kilos
- attaches to the grip with a big 3/8”-16 screw (or maybe even to both the 1/4”-20 and the 3/8”-16 mounting holes of the gimbal's grip at the same time, if that's a thing? 😍)
- for me, be ideally priced around 60-80$ maximum

Looking forward to your advices, Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Equipment advice — A good monopod for a gimbal (Ronin S) ?
on Nov 29, 2018 at 7:43:23 pm

In your price range, I'd look at Benro. But I think you'll be happier with something in the $200- $300 range, pwrsonally.

Return to posts index

Jacob Giacometti
on Nov 29, 2018 at 7:54:31 pm

Thanks Mark,
Indeed Benro;
as I wanted something a bit more solid that could hold a 4 kilos payload horizontally (somehow monopod specifications are always given if the tripod is laser sharp pixel perfectly aligned vertically with the whole weight pressing down uniformly, like that ever happens...! 😝), so I tried something else, from 3 legged thing, the Trent model

Have you heard of it or any opinion about how solid it would be when used horizontally ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 29, 2018 at 8:02:13 pm

I know nothing of that product so couldn't say.

If stiffness and horizontal, jib-like uses are your main goals, and the way you use it 90 percent of the time, why not skip a monopod altogether and just buy some wide diameter thin-walled aluminum pipe and a pan head? Maybe also a clamp so you can attach it to a light stand? You could customize the length then. And add an adjustable hand grip at the balance point for pure hand-held use. That could be just a twisted rag, or something a little more elaborate, like an additional piece of the tubing with a slit cut into it so it can slide up and down the length, add a handle to that... If it were me, I'd also put a screw eye in the base so I could hang a ballast bag off of it if needed, or just a strap to step on. A cradle/fork used by boom mic guys would help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 29, 2018 at 8:04:06 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 29, 2018 at 8:29:07 pm

Frankly, a pan head and a 2x4 would do as well for that... might not look as sexy but the price is right...

https://www.tested.com/art/movies/454928-low-budget-camera-tech-sam-raimis-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]