FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question to shooters: earbuds etc.

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Question to shooters: earbuds etc.
on Oct 12, 2018 at 7:49:51 pm

Hi,

Just curious as to what you might be using for headphones when shoulder mount shooting.

I normally use Sony MD7506 while on location, but shooters say the earpiece clunks into the side of the camera. What in ear or ear bud gear do you use in that situation?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Question to shooters: earbuds etc.
on Oct 12, 2018 at 8:25:51 pm

I can only speak for myself because in our type of work there's basically NEVER that handheld/shoulder-held shooting involves sound. That said, the MD7506 are the standard for field monitoring and using some form of ear bud seems prone to missing problems.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 12, 2018 at 8:33:19 pm

Thanks, Nick.

My point is that I'm guessing that there ARE buds out there that will do the job. They might be more expensive, but so far, I'm hearing from sound guys about options. I thought it would be good to pass that info around.

Your Pal,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader (Thanks to Nick, Griffin)

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 1:55:43 am

For me personally, I've kinda had a two tier strategy to my field monitoring.

Tier one has always been SET UP THE SOUND.

Set up the gear, get the signal path working. Test it with regular headphones listening for issues. Fix the issues.
IF there's a sound person, turn it all over to them.
If not, rely on the gear to continue to operate as designed accepting that if things OVERTLY change, (traffic, doors opening or closing, a light that goes on with a buzzy ballast, etc - I'll hear it in the real world of the shoot and can get out the cans to see if it's a serious issue.

Then we move on to:
SHOOTING WITH SOUND.
I often wear a single earbud for doing this. I have about 3 of them from Amazon, from a company called Far End. They sell a Stereo-to-mono Noise Isolating Earphone with Fabric Wrapped Cord. These come in short and VERY short versions. Very short can hang off a shoulder mount camera really well. It has a 3.5mm plug, so you may have to adapt that to 1/4" stereo phone if your source has that.

It's not at all a real "isolation" strategy, and takes some getting used to - BUT - if a battery fails or something goes seriously wrong, you should notice it. It's certainly better than the old "ear side" speakers built into the earlier betacams so that your camera side ear could at least hear SOMETHING was getting to the preamps!

And the "medum short" one works pretty well with a gimbal rig.

They aren't nearly as good as cans. But if you use them, you at least aren't shooting sonically blind.

I've always wanted to check out the Etymotic stuff, (or the custom moulded ear sets like my wife used on the air on TV for so many years for IFB, but I've never found a decent excuse to spend that much money.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Oct 14, 2018 at 10:02:01 pm
Last Edited By Bruce Watson on Oct 14, 2018 at 10:12:05 pm

First, and you of all people already know this, divide and conquer. Hire a video person, handle the audio yourself, problem solved.

But since I'm pretty sure you don't want that answer, I think what you're looking for is an in-ear monitor (IEM). Custom ear molds will give you about as much blocking as you'll get from the 7506s (which I use as well) if not a bit more. And custom molds will be both more comfortable and more secure as well. This will of course be more expensive than headphones. If you want, it can be very expensive indeed. And then if you go wireless on top of it all... well, you can spend some serious cash if you want to.

A place to start might be Etymotic (their homepage is a little... underwhelming, so you have to dig for what you want), or Ultimate Ears. There's a big overlap with the IEMs that stage musicians use, all the way over to hearing aids. What you seem to be looking for is somewhere in the middle. So I'd probably start with Etymotics. Clearly, YMMV.

EDIT: Ah, found it. I'm thinking the Etymotic ER4-SR might be a good place to start.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]