FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting footage inside a wall.. best work flow?

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Steve Berlowski
Shooting footage inside a wall.. best work flow?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 3:48:23 pm

Here's an interesting one..
We are shooting a spot that will require us to get the POV of moving inside a wall.. around a tight corner.. down a drain?
Too tight for a Go-Pro. What's best way?
We may have a camera that can do this.. but it doesn't record just has an SDI out. So how do we record the "feed" from this camera in a format we can Edit on FCP. Of course need it in at least HD 1080i

Anyone grappled with this? We're stumped :)

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Shooting footage inside a wall.. best work flow?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 6:19:50 pm

Never having done anything like this, take my advice for what it's worth.

On most of the food beauty shots (think doing a 180 around a Big Mac) there is a "snorkel lens" which can work in tight spaces because the camera is comfortably overhead of the subject. So given that approach I think you need to custom build a set and approach it from above without revealing that you are trading right and left imaging for up and down. As to the drain you might want to think in terms of shooting it then enhancing it in AfterEffects to bring out the ring and strainer parts.

Can I assume that this is a spot for an exterminator?

All things considered this is not an easy concept to turn into a spot. Nor would it be inexpensive to do well. (IMHO.)

Return to posts index

Steve Berlowski
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:07:05 pm

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear enough. It's more the technical aspects. We have the set ups, creative, and blocking for the actual shots set. We need a way to capture a video feed of the actual camera. Or maybe there is a self contained "lipstick" type camera that records HD video? I just haven't found one. Appreciate the effort.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:51:31 pm

Does it need to be a real, existing wall? Or can you cut to a prop wall or even a sub-scale miniature?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2017 at 2:51:38 am

There’s a whole new category of “endoscopic inspection cams” with flexible shafts on places like Amazon.

The best have really decent images.

That might fit the bill for you depending on the image quality and field of view you need.

Just a thought.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]