FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Advice

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Striner
Camera Advice
on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:52:28 pm

Hello,

We're thinking of creating a series of commercials with real people talking into a camera and we're trying to acheive an intentional "low-fi" look--as if the people were talking into their flip or phone cameras. But we're hesitant about using flip cameras because of its low resolution. Does anyone know of a small, POV-type camera that boasts enough resolution that it won't degrade dramatically during the process of getting it to broadcast?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mary Crowley
Re: Camera Advice
on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:48:52 pm

Would you consider getting a good camera, and putting on the 'low-fi' look in post?

Return to posts index

Matt Striner
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:07:06 pm

Using a better camera is one of our options, but we're trying to get the participants to use the camera themselves--and I really don't feel comfortable having them using one of our higher-end cameras. I'll check out the GoPro Hero camera though.

Thanks for the responses...

Return to posts index

Thomas Miller
on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:53:14 pm

We've had good luck lately with the GoPro Hero Camera. It's about $300 and is full resolution. You can mount it on anything. Difficult to monitor the shot though.

Tom Miller
Big Pictures Media
Denver, Colorado

http://www.BigPicturesMedia.com

Return to posts index

Mary Crowley
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:36:59 pm

Ah. I see.

I def think the Go pro is a good option for you. I've never used them myself, but I know others who swear by them. It's a safer and more sensible option than giving them a high end camera. Wouldn't want to be explaining that to the insurance company!

Mary.

Return to posts index

Bill Meissner
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:21:32 pm

Kodak Zi8 is 1080HD, has external mic input and some decent image stabilization.
The GoPro Hero has difficult monitoring capability, poor audio, no external mic input and fixed focus. Oh and the menu system can be a bear if you're not familiar with it. Field of view is 120 - 170 degrees, think really, really wide angle.

Bill

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
MacBook Pro
2.4Ghz / 4Gb Ram
Matrox MX02 LE

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Dec 28, 2010 at 6:13:23 am

I really liked the Kodak Zi8 mentioned above. Easy to use. Shoots pretty well. Tripod mount standard. External mic but many times the internal worked swell. This video is a silly little thing I shot the day I bought the Kodak, for a friend who I was staying with, and she had just had her kitchen redone, and wanted to send a video of it to her brother. This was done just after charging the battery for the first time. Internal mic, handheld. It will give you a sample of what you can do, but a novice can screw it up even more but still get good footage. Just don't blow it up to movie theater size! It does nice on Youtube, if that's your delivery method, or maybe broadcast...it will look like a cheap camera.

Alf

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Kodak Zi8
on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02:53 pm

Hello,

We recently bought a Kodak Zi8 for instructors to make short "Just in Time" videos to post on their web sites.

What make and model external microphone works best? Preferably a lav.

Thanks,

Charles Cogar
Metropolitan Community College
Omaha, Nebraska

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
Re: Kodak Zi8
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:31:06 pm

Charlie, for that kind of thing, there are some cheap lavs out there that work just fine, a little harsh. Cost less than $20 used for iPhones and the like. I have a "Griffen" lav for it. I found that the somewhat more expensive sony mics worked fine, as do anything with the right size plug..(G). Main thing is getting the distance from the camera. Might be best to use a mic on a small table stand. The little video I shot above was with the mic on the camera, which did a decent job.

Alf

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:14:24 pm

Thank you, Alf.

I'll see what we can get hold of.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 8, 2011 at 7:26:57 am

Just saw a wonderful looking Seinhauser MKE400 in Seattle today. But costs about $190. Bet it's sweet. If I wasn't awash in mics I'd have bought it.

Alf

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Re: Kodak Zi8 Ext. Mic
on Jan 10, 2011 at 12:24:38 am

Thanks, Alf.

That is a bit pricey. I need a quick solution (which I hope will be found in the famed "bin"), as I just persuaded a spanish instructor that the Zi8 meets her needs.

I also just armed a horticultural instructor with the new Sony Bloggie. I believe its touch-screen technology gets one bound up in functions and will distract from the work at hand. The instructor was wowed by it so I'll be interested in his experience. (The Sony Bloggie will not accept an external mic, which was the "buy" decision on the Zi8.)

Kind regards,

Charlie Cogar
Omaha, Nebraska, home of the Sharpened Snow Shovel.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:45:52 pm

Viewers forgive less than perfect visual quality, but they will not sit still for bad audio, at all. The Zi8 thus makes a lot of sense for having the external mic output. Even a wireless lav from Radio Shack will get better audio at twenty feet away than any built-in mic, with a better signal-to-noise ratio.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:42:22 pm

YouTube has certainly lowered the bar to new heights for video quality, yet nearly everything has decent audio.

I adopted an orphaned Radio Shack model 33-3013 6' wired lav. The price was right (free), and a new battery did the trick.

Easy solutions prepare us for hard problems!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]