FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jam Sync AD 788T Multi-Track Audio with Sony Z7Us

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Hoffman
Jam Sync AD 788T Multi-Track Audio with Sony Z7Us
on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:13:48 am

I've got a production going out on a shoot wherein they will be using a Sound Devices 788T multi-track audio recorder and two Sony Z7Us. The 788T takes external timecode for jam sync. To the best of my knowledge, the Z7Us will only jam sync camera-to-camera via Firewire.

Does anyone know of a system, device, or other method by which you can jam sync the 788T with the Z7U?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Jam Sync AD 788T Multi-Track Audio with Sony Z7Us
on Aug 22, 2010 at 5:08:15 am

This is one drawback of the small form factor camcorders - they lack timecode ports seen on both larger cameras and/or non HDV cameras.
Best idea is to use a timecode slate. You can point each camera at the timecode display on the audio recorder each time you change tapes. This is how we sync up our HDV cameras - point one camera at the other's timecode display so you have a visual way to sync in post.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Hans Hoffman
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:37:16 pm

Yeah. We did that the first time around, too. We were hoping to find a more automatic way to sync in post.

I'm surprised that no one makes a timecode generator that has firewire out specifically for the Sony cameras.

Return to posts index

Jim Bromley
on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:58:05 pm

You might want to look into a plug-in called PluralEyes (http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html)

I personally haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things.

Just make sure the in-camera microphones are turned on, and PluralEyes will synch the audio spikes from the rough audio with the clean files in your editing program (or so I've been told)

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Hans Hoffman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:13:58 am

I have used Plural Eyes. It does work well when all of your cameras are shooting the same subject. In the case of our upcoming shoot, the four cameras will be split up a lot of the time.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Return to posts index

Hans Hoffman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:28:02 am

Having not heard a better solution, we are going to do the following.

Our shoot includes 2x Sony Z7Us and 2x Sony A1Us along with the AD-788T multi-track audio recorder.

We discovered that we can jam sync the Z7Us over firewire. The same is not true of the A1Us, but they can be used as the source for the Z7U sync.

We'll send out a smart slate running time of day timecode with the shoot and slave the AD-788T to that.

We will manually set the timecode of the A1Us to time of day from the smart slate and leave TC RUN on Free Run.

We'll then jam sync the Z7Us to one of the A1Us.

As a result, we will have three cameras dead in sync and the rest of the media will have approximate time of day time code. In post, where we sue Final Cut Pro, we'll be able to use the "Make Multiclip Sequence" function to lay all media onto a timeline using timecode and then just nudge one of the cameras and the multi-track audio to get everything into sync.

If you run into a similar situation, feel free to contact me to see how it went.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]