FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Smith
Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300
on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:32:54 pm

I used to have a Canon XH-A1, with which I used the FireWire output into my MacBook Pro, and used Adobe OnLocation as a field monitoring solution.

This worked absolutely fine for me... until I upgraded my camera to the XF300. The XF300 doesn't have a FireWire output, only HDMI and Component etc. Adobe OnLocation only supports FireWire input, not HDMI.

Now I'm stuck - I can no longer use my MacBook on location shoots as a monitor!

Can anyone recommend any alternative monitoring software that allows HDMI signal input? Adobe have discontinued OnLocation, so there's no hope of there being an update to improve compatibility.

I know that there is a piece of hardware that converts the HDMI signal from the camera into an HDV signal ready for FireWire that is compatible with OnLocation (http://bit.ly/cua9f0) - but it's nearly £600 GBP, and I'm not spending that much money on a simple converter!

I just want a piece of monitoring software that I can use on my MacBook that is compatible with the HDMI signal from my XF300.

Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300
on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:54:13 pm

Well HDMI is not bi-directional, you'll need a box that will accept HDMI. I suggest the Intensity Pro Shuttle for Thunderbolt http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/models/ it's a cheap solution at $240USD. It will come Blackmagic Media Express which will allow you to monitor/capture to disk. It does not have scopes.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]