FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300

COW Forums : Field Production

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Smith
Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300
on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:32:54 pm

I used to have a Canon XH-A1, with which I used the FireWire output into my MacBook Pro, and used Adobe OnLocation as a field monitoring solution.

This worked absolutely fine for me... until I upgraded my camera to the XF300. The XF300 doesn't have a FireWire output, only HDMI and Component etc. Adobe OnLocation only supports FireWire input, not HDMI.

Now I'm stuck - I can no longer use my MacBook on location shoots as a monitor!

Can anyone recommend any alternative monitoring software that allows HDMI signal input? Adobe have discontinued OnLocation, so there's no hope of there being an update to improve compatibility.

I know that there is a piece of hardware that converts the HDMI signal from the camera into an HDV signal ready for FireWire that is compatible with OnLocation ( - but it's nearly £600 GBP, and I'm not spending that much money on a simple converter!

I just want a piece of monitoring software that I can use on my MacBook that is compatible with the HDMI signal from my XF300.

Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300
on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:54:13 pm

Well HDMI is not bi-directional, you'll need a box that will accept HDMI. I suggest the Intensity Pro Shuttle for Thunderbolt it's a cheap solution at $240USD. It will come Blackmagic Media Express which will allow you to monitor/capture to disk. It does not have scopes.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved