FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic question about a Zoom H6 I cannot find an answer to

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Basic question about a Zoom H6 I cannot find an answer to
on Mar 25, 2018 at 7:27:37 pm

I know this isn't a Zoom forum. But I can't find this answer anywhere and it's probably super simple and it's driving me nuts.

How can I get the time code of my clips in my Zoom H6 to always start at 00:00?

Right now the time code is in the 14 hour range so I guess it's giving me a cumulative time. I want to reset it and have it reset for every clip. I've been Googling answers online but to no avail.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Basic question about a Zoom H6 I cannot find an answer to
on Mar 26, 2018 at 9:45:40 am

The zoom H6 does NOT have time code function anywhere in the machine.
What it does have is a time of day in the meta data files.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Mar 26, 2018 at 1:24:23 pm

If bring an audio clip into FCP X, there is time code in it and it is not starting at 00:00:00. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 26, 2018 at 4:52:26 pm

Not enough information. Since the timecode is NOT coming from the Zoom recorder where IS it coming from? You have revealed nothing about what camera(s) you are using or how you have them connected to the Zoom recorder. It sounds like you are feeding timecode from your camera(?) into the recorder, in which case the solution has nothing to do with the Zoom recorder, but rather with the camera (or whatever source the timecode is coming from).

It might also be helpful to know why you think that timecode starting from zero would be an advantage?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Mar 26, 2018 at 6:54:19 pm

So, I am taking files from the Zoom and using those alone. I'm not linking it to anything. And after either uploading them to Trint for transcription or putting it into FCP X, the file is showing me time code. I'm giving a screenshot.

The advantage would be working with transcripts. If every clip started at 00:00 it would make transcript making easier which would make it easier to cut the audio. I'm doing some podcasting work, but I like cutting audio in FCP X cause of the metadata functions available.

Is this enough? Let me know if you need anything more.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:19:41 pm

With all due respect, given that the Zoom is not taking it’s time code in a way you need, perhaps this is simply a problem of not being clear with your requirements before buying it. I was curious about your original question because I own both a Zoom H5 and F8. The H5 has no way to *reset* the time counter (maybe if I reset the clock every time, but it still would default to a time of day not a counter. The F8 has timecode and you can set and reset it without plugging in a TC generator. So while it would unlikely be exact if your needs are simply to get the numbers cleaner, you could reset before every take. I assume other higher end recorders have this function also. Sounds like you might want to sell this current model and get one that has the features you need. Hope this helps! All the best!

Al

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:14:49 pm

Is you interest focused only on the small transcribing segment of the production workflow?
What was the production workflow planning? How is camera and picture and sound editing using this timecode?
Who is using the timecode to sync sound and picture? What do they have to say about diddling the timecode?

We still have not the slightest clue WHERE the timecode is coming from, or HOW it is getting into your files?
Do you have no visibility into other parts of the production?
Perhaps you should ask in an FCP forum how to reset the timecode of a clip?
Or ask the transcription service to use clip running-time rather than timecode for their cue numbers?
Although that would seem to throw a big monkey wrench into writing and editorial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 27, 2018 at 6:41:54 am

Make a copy to a new wav with a simple sound editor, that will strip off the TC
or
Use WaveAgent to reset the TC
or
tell the transcript house to work zero based

hth

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com