FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: VO sound enclosure

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
RE: VO sound enclosure
on Jan 27, 2018 at 4:12:44 pm

I know this is a general forum, but maybe you guys can weigh in, send me to another chat room or even go private messaging.

I used to be a VO actor and didn't bring my sound enclosure when I moved to another city. I also got out of VO acting to work full time in film. Anyway, some of my old clients have started contacting me again. I am not ready to buy a whisper room...etc......unless I really start billing.

My father who is a machinist helped my build a 4 x 5 enclosure back in 2005 that was incredible. We alternated the studs, used marine carpeting and even built sound traps. I was a great room with a very low noise floor that loved a TLM 103. I don't want to get that complicated again, since I rent a house and may have to move someday.

I have some ideas on how to build a low cost enclosure, but I would like opinions. I also know there are a lot of new materials out there that offer very good sound reduction since drywall.

Please let me know where to go to get ideas.

Cheers!

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: RE: VO sound enclosure
on Jan 27, 2018 at 6:51:35 pm

There's ton of stuff on youtube about that. Just do a search.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: RE: VO sound enclosure
on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:44:51 am

As a VO talent - I had my own purpose built VO booth for 20 years

Now I rent - as we decide if we’re moving again next year.

So I’ve been down the same path.

What I’ve found is that by switching my computer and the house AC temporarily off, the 10x10 office room I work in is actually perfectably acceptable for occasional VO Work.

I’ve temporarily parked my Neumann large diaphragm condenser and switched to a shotgun mike that has a tighter pattern and doesn’t have as much omnidirectional reach.

And the room is kinda surrounded by deep shelving units full of gear which break up standing waves and eliminate any slapback.

In the colder months, I can record direct to my MacBook Pro if the fans stay off. In the warmer months, I switch to an H4n since it’s silent.

It’s not AS convenient as my dedicated voice booth since I can’t record if the yard crew is working outside the room - but it works just fine.

My advice is to just set it up as best you can and LISTEN to the results.

They might just surprise you!

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]