FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rodelink to XLR Distortion Issue

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Sebastien
Rodelink to XLR Distortion Issue
on Jan 23, 2018 at 11:38:13 pm

Hello and thank you for your time. I was wondering if someone could help with an issue Ive been having with my radio mics while shooting a documentary. Forgive my audio ignorance.

Im using the Rodelink (with a lav mic) system and a Rode Videomic, both connected to a Sony X70 camera using 3.5mm to xlr adaptors.

The problem is that when the Rodelink is plugged in to whichever channel, I can often hear distortion/static in the other channel.

This is most noticeable when there is not much to hear in the other channel, i.e.,

a) when the Rodelink is feeding into channel 1 only, and
b) when the Rodelink is on one channel and the Videomic is on the other but but the Videomic is not turned up as high (although I still notice it when both are at equal volume).

Ive tried different combinations of gain settings on the transmitter, receiver and camera (at the moment my transmitter is at 20db, my receiver at 0db and my camera at 0db of attentuation), as well as switched up the hardware. To elaborate:

Both mics work fine together and separate on an external recorder.

Both mics work individually when plugged into the 3.5mm stereo jack of the camera.

Both mics work individually when pluggeed into the XLR channel 1 and split to give signal to both CH1 and CH2.

The Videomic works individually when plugged into CH1 and feeding signal into CH1 only.

Is there something obvious Im overlooking here or is there a problem with my camera/mic shoe?

Thanks,
Andre

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Rodelink to XLR Distortion Issue
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:23:14 pm

Good troubleshooting procedure. From the results of your experiments, it would suggest that there is a possible problem with the audio input "pod" on your camcorder.

We are assuming that you are running microphone-level from your wireless receiver. You might hear some inter-channel crosstalk if you had line-level going into one input, and using mic-level on the other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Andre Sebastien
Re: Rodelink to XLR Distortion Issue
on Jan 25, 2018 at 4:26:44 am

Hi Richard, thanks for the response.

Yes I've got them both switched to mic. I thought it might be an issue with the camera but was really hoping not... Guess I'll just have to run the wireless mic into my zoom H4n for the time being. Really was hoping I wouldn't have to though as I'm a one-man show at the moment and everything will suffer if I'm monitoring sound from two different inputs as well as vision!

Thanks again,
Andre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]