FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use a microphone from a wireless systems as wired mic, is it possible?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Bianco
Use a microphone from a wireless systems as wired mic, is it possible?
on Jan 19, 2018 at 5:39:01 pm

Here are the specifics, I have a Sony UWP system with a Sony ecm77-bmp microphone, which I use to record audio on a Canon c100.
The mic works great when connected to the transmitter through its 3.5mm jack, but I was wondering if there is any way to plug the microphone directly into the camera when I don't (or can't) use the wireless system.

I know that Sony produces a variation of this model (ecm77-b) that has an xlr connector and requires an AA battery or 48V phantom power, so I was wondering if there was a way to connect the mic I already have (ecm77-bmp) directly to the camera, using the camera phantom power to power the mic. Maybe some sort of adapter?

Why would I want to do that? The idea is to have a backup plan in case I have troubles with the wireless system, without having to buy a new wired microphone and saving some money and space. Makes sense?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Use a microphone from a wireless systems as wired mic, is it possible?
on Jan 19, 2018 at 6:30:02 pm

It is not clear what "plug the microphone directly into the camera" means? Are you asking about a pro XLR connection, or are you talking about a 3.5mm TRS consumer mic connection? What camera are you asking about?

Yes is it technically possible to adapt from 3.5mm to XLR. And there are several commercial products for specific microphones. Unfortunately, there is no standard for either 3.5mm or TA4F wireless mic connectors. I have not seen any kind of "universal" solution because of this variation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Sergio Bianco
on Jan 19, 2018 at 7:06:09 pm

Thank for your reply Richard.
The camera is a Canon C100. It has XLR input with 48V phantom power and also a 3.5mm stereo MIC input.
The microphone has a 3.5mm jack, which I normally would plug into the wireless system transmitter. The receiver of the wireless system, then, has an XLR output that goes that I would plug to the camera.
What I would like to do is by-pass the wireless system and connect the microphone directly to the XLR of the camera.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 19, 2018 at 7:41:37 pm

There is low risk in plugging the 3.5mm microphone plug directly into the 3.5mm microphone jack on the camcorder. Just to see if it will work.

You can ask Naint Studios if they can make an adapter for you. Looks like a sensible price for a custom-built adapter ($35).
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-po...

Alternatively you could just get an inexpensive XLR lav microphone like....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A3KSZW

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Sergio Bianco
on Jan 19, 2018 at 7:57:14 pm

The 3.5mm on the camera was the first thing I tried, and nothing happed...
But thanks for the advise, I'll see how much they ask, and now that I know what I am looking for, I can check out if there is some ready-made solution.
I know that there are inexpensive XLR lav on Amazon, but I really like the sound quality of my Sony, and was hoping to be able to use it.

Return to posts index

Sergio Bianco
on Jan 19, 2018 at 8:36:23 pm

I think I have found a ready-made solution: Rode vxlr+

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 19, 2018 at 9:06:14 pm

Yes, the Rode VXLR+ may work, depending on how the Sony connector is wired. It is worth trying, but I would certainly buy it from a vendor who permits returns if it doesn't work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]