FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble syncing two audio sources

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Kimball
Trouble syncing two audio sources
on Nov 4, 2017 at 11:37:46 pm

Hello,

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CC and having trouble syncing two different audio sources of the same recorded sound. I recorded audio of a theater performance using two different shotgun microphones. One connected to a Zoom H6, and another to a Zoom H4. I'm not well experienced with audio tech issues.

Here's an image what I am seeing:

In the image, I am zoomed in as close as possible and I am not able to perfectly nudge the audio files left or right to sync them up. It's either a tad before or after where I want the peaks to line up.

The top audio file is: 44100 Hz - 24 bit – Mono
The bottom is: an originally 96000 Hz converted to 44100 Hz - 24 bit - Mono via Premiere export

I thought maybe the different sample rates were causing the audio to be out of sync.

I see this issue often with camera audio not quite perfectly syncing with Zoom H4 recorded audio. Would love to solve this.

Thanks for your time.

-Reid

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Trouble syncing two audio sources
on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:04:06 am
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:35:29 am

How much is "a tad"? If it is only one frame plus or minus, then you are done. Your photo cut off the scale of the timeline so we don't know what we are looking at?

These are audio-only tracks? What about the audio from the video track(s)? You were able to sync one(?) of those tracks with the video? Your question seems rather confusing without the whole picture of what is what.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:36:55 pm

I think you have 2 things here.
1) The 2 devices werent able to be started at exactly the same moment so you will always have an offset or error of up to 1 frame no matter what you did.
2) You are trying to sync the slightly different files in a video NLE (premiere) which is only meant to work in + or - 1 frame intervals, which is remarkably crude in audio terms.

If you give it to someone with a proper audio NLE like Pro Tools they will be able to slip 1 audio track relative to the other in increments of + or - 1 sample hence getting a perfect sync.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Reid Kimball
on Nov 7, 2017 at 7:43:47 pm

Thanks for the replies Richard and Peter. I Adobe Audition. I'll see if that has more precise tools for aligning my audio files.

-Reid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]