FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to prevent microphone handling noise? Sennheiser ew1 845 wireless.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Osaka
How to prevent microphone handling noise? Sennheiser ew1 845 wireless.
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:32:09 pm

Hey all,

I've searched high and low for a solution to eliminating or suppressing the noise I get from audience members handling the mics.

I spend sooo much time editing out the noise. Is there some sort of silicone sleeve that is made specifically to eliminate the noise I get from fingers, grabbing, bumping, etc. . of the microphones?

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: How to prevent microphone handling noise? Sennheiser ew1 845 wireless.
on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:41:58 am
Last Edited By Bruce Watson on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:42:44 am

[Victor Osaka] "I've searched high and low for a solution to eliminating or suppressing the noise I get from audience members handling the mics."

Perhaps because you're using a mic that's not designed for the duty you are using it for? Why are the mics being passed around, why are they hypers, has the audience had any microphone training?

The general use case for handing a random person a mic for them to speak into is an omni reporter's stick mic. Typically an EV RE50N/D-B in North America or a Sennheiser MD 42 in most of Europe. These mics are omnis (much less handling noise), have internal suspension systems (even less handling noise), sound great, are amazingly sturdy, and as dynamic mics are low sensitivity (low audience noise, and no need for phantom power). The added bonus with an omni is that having the talent go way out of pattern doesn't much matter and doesn't require much if any repair in post.

The problems with non-omni mics is that the talent usually has no idea how to use them, so they don't hold them in the right location (proximity effect, out of pattern), don't keep them in the same location (variable proximity effect, going out of pattern simply by twisting the mic), and don't address them properly in the first place. Then there's the problem of holding the mic in one place while they turn their head every which way (going wildly in and out of pattern). Way too much work in post, and usually a sub par result.

Finally, if you can get away with using a cable you'll save yourself a bunch of money and a bunch of trouble. No wireless system can sound as good as a $20 USD XLR cable, wireless is way more expensive, and wireless is way less reliable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]