FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting XLR to 3.5mm... potentially with a Zoom H4N?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Converting XLR to 3.5mm... potentially with a Zoom H4N?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 12:35:01 am

Hey guys,

I notice when stepping down my Rode NTG to a 3.5 mm with 'just cord conversions', I lose all of my bass. Not 100% sure why, but upon doing some research, it's pretty obvious that this is the incorrect way to do it.

So, can I use a Zoom H4N to convert the XLR down to 3.5 correctly just using the Headphone jack as an output on the Zoom, going into the camera?

Is there anything i'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Converting XLR to 3.5mm... potentially with a Zoom H4N?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 5:56:07 am

Most XLR to TRS (whether 3.5 mm or 1/4 inch) connect Tip = 3, Ring = 2, Sleeve = 1. However that wiring ends up recording your signal properly on the Left channel, and the INVERSE phase on the Right channel. If you select one or the other channel, you will get a decent signal. But if you take BOTH (Left + Right) channels, the signal cancels itself out to varying degrees. That sounds exactly like what you are describing.

There are two primary solutions to this problem.
1) While editing, select ONLY one side of your "stereo" (actually 2-channel mono) audio track. NEVER combine Left + Right.
2) Use an adapter that is wired properly for this purpose. For example: http://hosatech.com/product/xvm-100f/ or any adapter wired like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Oct 13, 2017 at 11:04:58 am

The standard wiring for XLR to a TRS is Pin 1 Ground, Pin 2 positive Tip, Pin 3 negative Ring.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Oct 13, 2017 at 12:47:43 pm

Hey thanks Eric. This is what I have:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1...

Which really doesn't seem to be working well for me.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Oct 13, 2017 at 12:47:00 pm

Hey Richard,

This is the cord that I'm currently using:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1...

I don't know WHAT is going on... perhaps I'll export some audio samples that I got from the same mic wired directly into my nexfs100 vs my panasonic gh4.

There's literally no bass in the GH4...

I tried your recommendation with the audio tracks and i THINK that there's an improvement... but I still have to add a parametric EQ to fix the low end.

Not 100% sure what I should do from here, but I'll try to get you guys some audio when I'm done editing later today.

Thank you for your time and help!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 13, 2017 at 7:09:14 pm

Travis you have used a cable with the wiring connections wired the wrong way around.
Richard made mentioned this a couple of postings up, it is a common problem with DSLR camera gear but can be overcome with possibly a cable re wire at the XLR end.

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:37:00 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/30/869594

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 14, 2017 at 12:48:57 am

Unfortunately, Kopul does not reveal even a simple wiring diagram. So we have no clue how the Kopul cable is wired. If you look at the reference I provided to Hosa, you will see how the adapter should be wired. If you have a DMM meter, you might be able to test your Kopul cable to see how it is wired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]