FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about audio in my youtube videos!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soumendra Jena
Question about audio in my youtube videos!
on Oct 6, 2017 at 8:01:35 am
Last Edited By Soumendra Jena on Oct 6, 2017 at 8:08:13 am

Here is a video of mine to ask about my audio;

I have been getting comments saying, either my voice is echoing or coming out too loud.
I use RODE NTG4+ and Zoom h5 to record and maintain less than -12dB hitting line.

And always have High Pass Filter ON in my Rode Shot gun mic.

I feel that, my voice is perfect, but Im missing something or the sound is reflecting or something is happening.

MY room is big, like 40 x 20.
What suggestion will you have ?

I know you tubers having similar big rooms, but their voice is very very right.

Just wanted to understand, what am I doing wrong.

I got acoustic foams as well, but not sure, how to do placements.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Question about audio in my youtube videos!
on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:24:18 pm

I don't hear any signal level or recording level problems. What I hear is entirely the result of a distant microphone technique in a very reverberent space.

How far away is the NTG4 microphone from your mouth? Every cm of extra distance adds a significant amount of room ambient reverberation. Note that "shotgun" microphones like NTG4 are typically NOT used for reverberent indoor use because reflections cause the microphone to lose its directional response. A hyper-cardioid microphone is the more favored type for indoor use on a boom.

Without actually seeing the room (and your acoustic treatment) it is not clear whether there is sufficient sound absorption for the size and shape of the room. Just putting up a few pieces of foam is unlikely to tame such a large and reverberent space.

Why do you feel you need to use a shotgun microphone out of frame? This is 2017, we don't need to use 19th century technology and your aren't trying to hide the fact that we can only hear you if you are using a microphone. After all, you YT channel is about technology. You aren't doing a historic period video from the 1860s or something.

I would strongly recommend a headset microphone It gets the microphone head within a couple of cm away from your mouth. That enormously changes the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) between your voice (the desired Signal) and the "noise" (the room ambient reverberation).

tl;dr
1) the space is way too reverberent and
2) the microphone is the wrong type and
3) too far away from your mouth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:36:10 pm

1. Its a huge space, my studio. Like 50 x 20 you can tell.

2. NTG4+ is just like 3cm at max from my mouth on top.

3. I have high pass filter on in NTGR4+

4. I have done not treatments to the room, I just sit and talk.

5. This is my setup : https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ29sLtDU1P/?taken-by=soamjena

7. I have rode mic pro, rode lava mic, ntg4+ = 3 types of mic with me, but since I find NTG4+ nice and loud, so I use it always. But lately I was able to figure out that, im either too loud or echoing or something is wrong and surely not correct.

7. My studio space to give you an idea on my room depth -
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZVUn3ZjRfA/?taken-by=soamjena
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZVORUIjlNV/?taken-by=soamjena
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZlFDrLjZVX/?taken-by=soamjena

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:45:56 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:51:01 pm

The microphone is not 3cm from your mouth or we would see it in the video frame. Your nose is 3cm from your mouth. Maybe the mic is 30-40 cm?

The microphone appears to be aimed at the desk top which is VERY reflective. That is likely a primary source of reflections. You could consider putting down a thick pad and table-cloth on the desk top and see how much difference that makes?

If you want to use a distant mic technique like that you will need A LOT of absorption on the walls and ceiling (and maybe the floor). Much easier/faster/cheaper to get the microphone closer with a headset (or lav) mic. I would not attempt to use a shotgun microphone in such a reverberant setup like that.

Note also that the louder you speak the more you "excite" the room reverberation and "load it up" with sound bouncing around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Oct 6, 2017 at 5:01:12 pm

Sorry, I mean the mic is just in front of head and out of frame.

Its pointed to my mouth, but from the top wards.

So you say, the LAVA mic would be better than shot gun in such big rooms ?

And if I want to use shot gun, then put acoustic foams in left right, top bottom ?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 5:33:45 pm

Your space appears to be an office/shop/showroom for public access. So making it acoustically "dead" enough for distant microphone will be expensive if you want to maintain an attractive visual appearance.

Anything that will get the microphone MUCH CLOSER to your mouth will improve the sound by reducing the ambient reverberation vs. your speech. You could experiment by using your NTG4 and the mic stand boom in different positions. For example directly in front of your mouth and no more than 15 cm between the end of the mic and your mouth. Not suggesting that you actually want to record videos with the microphone there, but as an experiment to see how mic position and distance affect the recorded sound.

Or with the mic positioned BELOW the camera and aimed UP at your mouth (to avoid reflections from the desk top). I would put some absorbing material (your foam?) between the microphone and the closest parts of the desktop to avoid reflections there.

While a clip-on lavaliere mic might be better than the distant shotgun, I would still much prefer using a headset microphone. It would put the mic an order of magnitude closer to your mouth than either the boom shotgun or the clip-on lavaliere mic.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:11:44 pm

Just for comparison, I went and viewed a video from LinusTechTips. He appears to be using a shotgun mic on a boom (at least there was no microphone that I could see). And at a greater distance than you are using.

However, he is working in a MUCH larger space, essentially an industrial warehouse space which is the modern equivalent of the old-school Hollywood sound-stages from 100 years ago. Because they were 3x to 5x larger than your space, and they had exposed wooden building structure (studs, rafters, etc.) they were almost "outdoor-like" in their acoustic properties. There were effectively zero nearby reflective surfaces, and there were many small pieces to "break-up" whatever reflected sound was bouncing around up there. Plus, they were lined with thick sound-absorbing layers on virtually the entire walls and ceiling.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Oct 7, 2017 at 3:01:31 am

Ok what would you suggest for me ?

Place acoustic foams on right left, and top and bottom of me ?

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:23:41 pm

[Richard Crowley] "1) the space is way too reverberent and
2) the microphone is the wrong type and
3) too far away from your mouth"

What Ricard said.

First and foremost IMHO is that you should find ways to damp down the reflections in that room. Rugs, upholstered chairs, book cases, even hanging moving blankets (off the wall 30 cm or more, not on the wall, so the sound has to pass through the blanket twice, and therefore be attenuated twice).

Also, move your set/seat out into the room and away from that wall. While the room might be "big" by some measures, you are backed up against a wall. The sound bouncing off the wall behind you is reaching your mic just milliseconds after the direct sound from your mouth, giving you "small room sound" from the "rapid reflections". It's interesting that your shotgun didn't really choke on that. Rapid reflections can give an interference tube mic (aka shotgun) fits, resulting in comb filtering artifacts. This is why most people tend to use hypercardioid mics in reflective rooms like this. I use an AT4053b for this kind of work, an Audix SCX1-HC would work nearly the same, there are of course many other hypers out there.

Next thing you do, is move that mic in closer. You want the mic to be 45-60 cm from the mouth, just above the frame line, pointed directly at the mouth, typically this results in a 45 degree angle pointing down toward the mouth. When I do this without a boom op, I use a c-stand with a boom pole holder to hold the boom pole with the mic on it in position, and outside of the frame. As long as the talent isn't moving much, this works great for me.

If you are doing all these things and you are still disappointed in your sound quality, consider going to a lavalier mic like one often sees on local news crews reporting from their studios. Use an omni mic (not a cardioid, an omni) as close to the center of your chest as you can reasonably get it. Lavs require "plug in power" as opposed to phantom power; do not use phantom power on a lav mic unless it's specifically designed for it. I use the Oscar Soundtech mics with their phantom-to-plugin-power converter so I can power them off my mixer's phantom power. I avoid wireless as much as possible because it sounds so much better.

All this sounds picky I know, but little things can make an audible difference. Good luck with it.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 7, 2017 at 4:46:36 pm

Bruce and Richard,

Thanks so much for your spot on analysis of the problem and suggested solutions.

Soumendra, a countryman e6 mic that you wear over your ear would get the mic as close as possible to you. It's so small that it is not visibly distracting. Notice how I use it in this old video tutorial.

You will have more room ring because your space is bigger and YOU"RE SHOUTING!!!!!!, but there will be a noticeable improvement. Here's a performance hint: Try conveying your enthusiasm not with volume, but with expression.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Oct 8, 2017 at 3:26:28 am

Thanks man, so basically I should not speak louder, which will eventually reflect more.
Let me try today with some more videos.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 8, 2017 at 3:32:45 pm

If you speak louder, you will reflect more.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Peter Robertson
on Oct 8, 2017 at 6:07:06 am

I have a trick that I often use for this type of shot (interview).
I have the camera on a tripod and the mic IN shot at an ideal position. I let the camera run, do my interview and with the camera still running remove the mic. Then I stop the take. In post I do a Matte masking out the mic and using the end of the shot (as still pic) as the insert. You get the perfect audio and picture.
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 8, 2017 at 3:29:16 pm

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes, that's what they do in post for "House of Cards."

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]