FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best audio recorder for this budget?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
saleh alzughaibi
Best audio recorder for this budget?
on Oct 5, 2017 at 3:50:42 am

I currently use zoom H4N. Doesn't have the greatest preamps. I use it with my Rode NTG3 shotgun microphone. Mainly to record dialog on a boom.

Looking to upgrade for something with better preamps/gain levels.

I was thinking of Zoom H5, H6, and Roland R-26. OR any other options I haven't listed/don't know of.

I don't know the best option so some help would be great!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Best audio recorder for this budget?
on Oct 5, 2017 at 4:32:39 pm

It is not clear that ANY of those little plastic "shaver" recorders has any better mic preamp performance than what you are already using?

If I were shopping in that price range I would seriously consider the Zoom F4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

saleh alzughaibi
on Oct 5, 2017 at 6:21:49 pm

Thanks Richard!

If you were to compare the Zoom F4 and the Sound Devices MixPre-3

Which one would you go for and why?

Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 5, 2017 at 10:22:12 pm

SD better. although according to my sheet listed below here, you'd actually match up with a zoom f4 or Roland r-26. A Sound Devices MixPre-3 with a Rode NTG3 is a waste of money in terms of sound quality and noise floor unless you need the pro features.

to match mic quality with recorder noise floor:
1. Sound Devices/fostex fr2le + Sennheiser mkh 416/sanken CS3e
1. roland r-26/zoom f4 + sen 600/Rode NTG3
2. tascam dr-60d + ntg4+
3. h4n with senn ME-66/NTG2/Videomic Pro/Audio-Technica AT875R

Return to posts index

saleh alzughaibi
on Oct 5, 2017 at 10:29:38 pm

Thanks for the input!

Im not sure how the NTG3 combined with SD MixPre3 is not the best quality.
Would you mind elaborating more on that?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 6, 2017 at 2:17:20 am

noise floor is the ability to record nothing when no sound is being produced. the first to create noise is the 'loser'.

for example, using a $5 lapel mic from radio shack with a sound devices. the sound devices won't produce hardly any noise by itself but the $5 junk mic will create hiss. buying all that extra "headroom" for the noise floor is relative to the mic and recorder, whichever one hits the noise first. that's why I line up similar noise floors in my mic/recorder selection.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm just saying that your mic would create a bunch of noise waaaay before the recorder did. A good recorder isn't going to 'upgrade' your mic, just remove any limitations from the recording device and place it squarely on the mic.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 1:26:32 am

No question that the Sound Devices is essentially a sure bet for better performance.
But then the SD is also more expensive, so no surprise there.
(And even more expensive than price alone considering the input/track count as well. 3 vs. 4)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:21:30 am

It will all depend on your work flow.... There are a couple of things the the new series MixPre series don't have....

They don't have a 'dual card' record. On my shoots i will often hand over one card to the client and then keep the other for my backup OR one card recorded at 48/24 and the other in MP3 format for transcribing.

The MixPre 3/6 don't have balanced outs so feeding a 'pro' level is difficult. The latest MixPre 10 does have balanced outs.

The Zoom F4 doesn't have the above problems BUT it has a -10 output rather than a +4 (normal pro level)

I feel the Zoom F4 is better 'bang for your buck' so to speak

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Oct 6, 2017 at 5:03:51 pm

[saleh alzughaibi] "I currently use zoom H4N. Doesn't have the greatest preamps."

[saleh alzughaibi] "Looking to upgrade for something with better preamps/gain levels."

If these are your primary concerns, the Zoom F4 does indeed look like the biggest bang for your buck. The mic preamps on the Zoom F4/F8 are said by some to be the equal of the entry level SD mic pres. Should give you what you are looking for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]