FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to record two-person dialogue?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura DaSilva
Best way to record two-person dialogue?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:33:04 pm

Hey there,

I need to shoot a short video where 2 people are speaking to each other in the same frame and I'm looking for a solid audio game plan. I shoot on a Canon 7D. I currently have a Rode shotgun mic that mounts onto the camera, an H5 Zoom recorder and one Rode wireless lav mic.

I'm trying to figure out how to evenly record 2 people. Should I purchase a second lav?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Best way to record two-person dialogue?
on Oct 6, 2017 at 1:32:30 am

There are too many unknowns to make any specific recommendation.
Is this a nice, sedate sit-down session in an acoustically-friendly space?
Or are these people touring through a steel mill with deafening ambient noises?
Do you have a sound person (specifically a boom operator) who can aim the shotgun on a boom?
Is this just a one-off requirement and you should consider renting vs. buying a second lav?
Several other factors like these would go into the decision-making process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Laura DaSilva
on Oct 6, 2017 at 3:24:41 pm

This will be a sedate session in an office with little background noise. No steel mill! We are aiming to create something similar to "Weekend Update" on SNL...a mock news sort of thing with two anchors.
I don't have access to an experienced boom operator, but could ask a colleague to help with sound.
We plan on doing more in-studio shoots where there are two or more people on-screen together.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 8:24:03 pm

Sounds very much like a second Rode wireless lav mic would be ideal. Essentially 100% of the news anchors/ newsreaders around the world are wearing a clip-on lav mic there on the news set.

And even on SNL where they traditionally use a boom mic on the dramatic scenes, they are using clip-on lav mics for the "Weekend Update" bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]