low-cut filter during outdoor ambient recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adriano Castaldini
low-cut filter during outdoor ambient recording
on Sep 30, 2017 at 4:46:53 pm

Hi everybody,

newbie question.

For outdoor ambient recording I use Sound Devices MixPre-6 with the Audio-Technica stereo mic BP4025, and to avoid wind noise (actually I'd say "normal air noise") I use the Rycote Windshield 3 Kit (XLR-5F) without windjammer (I image that it's useful in strong wind situation, is it right? anyway I hate handling fur...)
The purpose of this recording is capturing the sounds outdoor, not that particular bird sound, but simply a stereo image of the sound in a garden.

Now, my question is: considering the blimp (but without deadcat), the location (outdoor) and the purpose (nature sounds) could be useful using the low-cut filter of the MixPre-6? Do you think it could reduce wind noise? Or do you think it's better to remove low frequencies (if necessary) in post?

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: low-cut filter during outdoor ambient recording
on Sep 30, 2017 at 6:17:24 pm

My preference is to avoid doing a low cut in the field, unless specifically asked do so (rare). It is fairly easy to adjust audio in post these days, to carefully remove unwanted noise. When you cut out the low end in the recording, it's gone for good. I would use the microphone protection devices you mentioned and avoid the low cut. Just me.

Bob

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Sep 30, 2017 at 6:46:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Mr. Mark.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 1, 2017 at 3:24:33 pm

Glad to be of assistance. :>)

Bob

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Oct 1, 2017 at 3:55:18 pm

[Bob Mark] "My preference is to avoid doing a low cut in the field..."

Yep. About the only reason I can come up with for using low cut in the field is if the noise you are cutting is sufficiently loud that overloading the microphone is a danger.

I recorded interviews once in a hotel room that was right next to the main air handler for the floor. I got a ton of LF noise through the walls. Client picked the room, told me to do the best I could with it. Oh well... I walked the room listening for peaks and nulls, found a null, and put the interview chair there. Microphone on a boom, boom on a boom holder on a c-stand. Played with it enough that the interviewee and the mic were in the null. Then I turned on the low cut on the mic, and the low cut on my MixPre-D, resulting in a -24dB/octive low cut with a knee at 80 Hz.

I used the low cut on the mic because I didn't want to take the chance on overloading the mic with LF crap, which would have in turn screwed up the higher (voice) frequencies. I used the low cut on the mixer because I was already committed, and I was thinking the extra -12dB/ octave might be enough that I wouldn't need more in post. And that turned out to be the case.

But that's the only time in years I've felt the need to use low cut in the field.

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Oct 1, 2017 at 4:08:56 pm

You wrote a very smart tutorial!!! Thanks a lot Mr. Watson!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:27:05 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for covering ALL of the bases.

Adriano....it's not real fur, but he blimp by itself, will knock down most of the wind.

I usually want to try to knock the wind off before it takes up space in the recording itself.

Good headphones will let your ears know if the low frequency content is a problem. It may take a few tries before your brain can make sense out of what your ears are hearing.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Oct 1, 2017 at 9:57:28 pm

Sorry Mr. Ford, but my English is a bit inaccurate: When you say "it's not real fur, but he blimp by itself, will knock down most of the wind", what will knock down most of the wind? The fur or the blimp?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2017 at 11:49:06 pm

Ciao Adriano,

You don't like fur, but it's not real fur. ☺

The blimp knocks down most of the wind the "fur" helps some more.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Oct 2, 2017 at 12:33:45 am

Thank you Mr. Ford!
Yes, it's not real fur ☺ Anyway my fur behaves like a true one: the first time I tried to dress the blimp, it lost a lot of hair in the air... on the blimp... on my clothes... (damn stupid pricey beaver...) Sorry, I know mine is not a professional attitude, but this little stream of consciousness gives the idea of my irritation ☺

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 2, 2017 at 6:51:06 am

My Dear Mr. Castaldini!

So sorry to hear about your loss of hair. That has not occurred with mine.

I've been irrational for years, but would probably be irritated.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Oct 2, 2017 at 1:31:31 pm

Ahahah!!! ☺

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Oct 6, 2017 at 8:07:30 am

Bob, what do you use for audio editing ?

Im on FCPX and I shoot mostly in my studio only, all of my youtube videos.

I keep the HIGH PASS FILTER ON in my RODE NTG4+.

Now when I take it to FCPX and click on AUTO ENHANCE and make the noise removal completely gone, then I find the sound bad ore echoing kind of.

What can be the reason ?

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 6, 2017 at 10:18:42 pm

Soumendra, if you are recording in a studio, you shouldn't have to use mic cut/pass filters. I don't use FCPX, so I can't comment on that, but perhaps you could post an audio sample, so we can hear it.

For audio sweetening, I use a few programs, depending upon what needs tweaking. 1) Vegas Video Pro (it has great audio tools), Cool Edit 2000 (no longer around, but you might find a download somewhere), and Audacity (free). Cool Edit 2000, does a very good job of removing difficult audio problems like air conditioning noise by using sampling of the signal in a noise only area, and then using that to subtract that sound from the whole file.

Bob

Bob

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Oct 6, 2017 at 11:42:31 pm

I agree with Mr. Mark. Cool Edit 2000 was a great piece of software. It had a "scientific" approach to the audio and all the filters/effects were at very good quality. It was Windows only. It evolved into Adobe Audition CC (Win/Mac) with a LOT of great features: for example you can see the sonogram of your recordings so that you can attenuate/delete/correct/move every piece of the sound spectrum with "pencil" and "eraser" tools (like a sort of Photoshop for the audio, and like IRCAM's Audiosculpt). It can also recognize a noise/sound with variable frequency (like an alarm siren) and delete it. This software is NOT a DAW (no MIDI instrument, audio only!) but in my opinion it has some of the best analysis tools on the market, and analysis is so important in audio treatment!

Anyway I don't recommend to edit/process audio within a video-editor: the all-in-one approach is fast but too limiting (this is only my opinion, obviously).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]