FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mics for Live Panel

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Keating
Mics for Live Panel
on Sep 13, 2017 at 8:51:09 am

Looking for some advice getting gear set up for live panel discussions.

My setup will be for 4 people, and recorded onto a camera as well as sent to PA speakers for the room of about 50/60.

I've used Rode M1 mics in the past which tends to be ok, but I'm wondering should I be looking at something different? Would something like a Shure CVG18 gooseneck work better? Just in terms of getting decent sound out to the room, the recording is secondary.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mics for Live Panel
on Sep 14, 2017 at 6:01:01 am

Hello James and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Welcome to what we call the proverbial Rock and A Hard Place.

Your challenges will be.....

1. Keeping the people speaking on mic properly.

2. Figuring out where to put the speakers so as not to cause feedback.

People in general are all over the road about how close to a mic they'll get, even when you nicely tell them they need to be no less than six inches away. Some will lean back in their chairs, putting them a foot or so away and if you crank up the gain of their mic, it will feedback.

Never put the speakers behind the mics.

Be VERY wary of auditoria that have speakers in the ceiling directly over the talent. Again, this can present a feedback problem. If you can get them to turn those speakers off, you'll be more successful.

Using a four channel automixer like the Shure FP410 can make a big difference, but you'll still probably have to adjust some levels by hand.

Your best results may come using over the ear mics like you see on TedTalks. There are a variety of makers; Shure and Countryman, being two. The Countryman E6 is my favorite. They are somewhat pricey, but worth it. Every inch closer to the mic pays off in many ways; less feedback, less room ring, cleaner sound.

Here's a tutorial I recorded here at home some years back in which I use the Countryman B6.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]