FORUMS: list search recent posts

replacement parts to repair Sennheiser Cl-100 XLR to 3.5mm

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Hill
replacement parts to repair Sennheiser Cl-100 XLR to 3.5mm
on Sep 10, 2017 at 10:03:26 am

recently on a shoot one of my CL-100 XLR connectors got damaged (Damned near pulled off?)
Now I need to find a new compatible XLR male three pin head assembly and re wire/solder to be able to use it once again.
Can any one here advise me if this is an option or whether it will be cheaper just to buy a new part around $50/£50.

Another thing is that I have some good Sennheiser lav wireless mic cables that have been damaged that have I would like to have repaired is there anywhere UK/EU that offers this service?

I always try to repair or recycle when I can, before going out and buying more kit.

Thank you all in advance.

Best

Hugh

"There are those who may,
And those who will,
Or so they say.
Lastly there are those special few,
Who say nothing -
But in their actions DO! (HH)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: replacement parts to repair Sennheiser Cl-100 XLR to 3.5mm
on Sep 10, 2017 at 8:43:07 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Sep 10, 2017 at 8:49:02 pm

Not clear from your question whether it was the 3.5mm connector or the XLR connector end that is damaged? XLR connectors are among the easiest to terminate and it would be nice if you could use this opportunity to learn DIY connector termination (at least XLR and TRS.

OTOH, 3.5mm connectors are rather small and fiddly to be used for learning how to terminate connectors.

I make my own cables, but if I had to buy one, I would probably have a vendor like Redco make one for me. I just used their online custom cable web page and they charge US$12.06 for a 1 foot cable with 3.5mm locking connector on one end and gold Neutrik male XLR on the other end.

Redco is also my source for bulk cable and connectors. They have a wide variety of cable/connector products and make custom cables at sensible prices.

Ref: https://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=M5WGU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:43:12 pm

Hello Richard,

on the CL-100 XLR to 3.5mm cable, it was the XLR connector end that is damaged the 3.5mm side is fine.
I have attached two pictures that may show some light.
As I mentioned I want to learn to repair my wires (when I can) so will take this opportunity to start unfortunately I am in the UK and shipping the connector from the US will cost more than the part.
If I knew the part number I would try to find it here in the UK, I will still search Redco and see if I can find it there.

As long as I can find/use a part for the CL-100 cable I have then I will be happy to repair/recycle it.

Once again Richard,

Thank you!

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 12, 2017 at 6:27:48 pm

I am a bit confused here. Not sure what "part" you are looking for here?
From your photo, it appears that you can simple re-solder the cable to the XLR connector.
I don't see that you need any extra parts. Or am I missing something here?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 13, 2017 at 4:44:34 am

Hello Richard ,

The parts A and B join together the wires are fed through A then soldered onto B and I believe that it can then lock together (a one time only lock) from here it should be very easy to assemble my only concern is that some type of special heat tool is required for fixing A & B together.

Thank you once again.

Hugh.

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]