FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I connect Sennheiser SKM-100 up to zoom H6 and speaker

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Hill
Can I connect Sennheiser SKM-100 up to zoom H6 and speaker
on Sep 9, 2017 at 8:51:21 pm

Is there a way that I could connect the Sennheiser skm-100 handheld transmitter up to a Zoom H4/H6 and speaker simultaneously so that I am capturing and outputting at the same time.
I have never done this before would it be a case of sending to a body-pack receiver with a 3.5 to dual XLR output one end into the speaker and the other into the Zoom H4/H6, that way as its being received one line is feeding a capture signal into the Zoom while the other the speaker. Is this right?

As I said I have never done this before and what I am after is using the hand held mic to record the talent, but also broadcast their voice over a speaker at the same time so people can hear what they are saying.

Thank you in advance

Best

Hugh

"There are those who may,
And those who will,
Or so they say.
Lastly there are those special few,
Who say nothing -
But in their actions DO! (HH)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Can I connect Sennheiser SKM-100 up to zoom H6 and speaker
on Sep 10, 2017 at 8:22:08 pm

Please clarify your question. You want to connect the TRANSMITTER to a recorder and a speaker? So you are trying to play back something on the recorder and then put it out through the speaker and transmit it somewhere else? Now, if you said that you wanted to connect the RECEIVER to a speaker and a recorder, that would be much easier to understand.

Also specify exactly which "speaker" you are asking about. Many powered speakers (assuming that is what you are asking about?) have extra outputs which could accommodate recording, linking to other speakers, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 11, 2017 at 8:46:58 am

Thank you, Richard, and sorry for not being clear enough in my request for help.

What I was trying to say (Badly!)
I was wondering if rather than fixing lavs to various people (speakers at receptions) if it may not be a better idea to use just one wireless (Transmitting) mic. To do this would I need to capture (Recieve)the sound into the Zoom as well as output it through a speaker so the audience can hear what is being said, otherwise it looks like the talent is using a dead mic, (well to the audience anyway.
You mentioned that some modern powered speakers have these connections so would it be a case of the transmitter (Mic) to the receiver which is then split (a Y splitter) one feed into a recorder the other into (The) speaker.

Sorry if this is confusing but its the best I can explain my situation.

Thank you for your time and best regards.

Hugh

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 11, 2017 at 11:11:58 am

You absolutely can split the receiver output to other inputs. Just be sure to adjust the input gain settings for each outboard unit. Set the RX output to at least "0" and you should be fine.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 11, 2017 at 5:40:18 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Eric,

you said,

"Just be sure to adjust the input gain settings for each outboard unit. Set the RX output to at least "0" and you should be fine."

I wasn't planning to use an outboard unit unless a Zoom H6 counts as one, I was hoping to have the talent use a handheld mic transmitter to a receiver with a Y-splitter that has a 3.5mm coming from the Sennheiser receiver with one XLR connector going into the Zoom H6 and the other into the speaker.
I was hoping this way I could capture the talent as well as play them through the speaker.

As I mentioned earlier I have not done this before so looking for the easiest albeit most reliable way to do so.
I am happy to try workable alternatives too as long as they do not become too complicated.

Thank you

Hugh

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Sep 11, 2017 at 9:29:44 pm

The H6 & the powered speaker are the outboard units. Remember the output of the RX is unbalanced so the 3.5mm TRS to XLR-M cable will have to be wired unbalanced. If you are using the standard output cable from Sennheiser then it already is wired unbalanced.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 12, 2017 at 12:30:57 am

Thank you, Eric, I will keep this in mind.

Best

Hugh

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 12, 2017 at 6:38:23 pm

Is there some set of speakers that you have (or are using regularly)?
Or are you asking generically about whatever speakers you encounter randomly?
Do you have a kit of various cables/adapters to connect to different speakers?
As I mentioned before, some speakers have outputs which would be suitable to feed to your recorder.
If we knew specifically which speakers you are working with, we could offer more specific suggestions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Sep 13, 2017 at 4:32:58 am

Hello Richard,

I am in the process of buying speaker/s, I was thinking along the lines of something like the Skytek SP1500A 15" or any others that I could use and I noticed they have an XLR Mic in, XLR Line in, & XLR Line out.

so far I have 2 sets of Sennheiser's EW 100-ENG G2 Wireless Lavalier Microphone System, with BodyPack Transmitter and hoping to get another 2/3 more set, I also have a Sennheiser hand mic transmitter.

more than a few cables but not an unbalanced 3.5mm to dual 3 pins (Male) XLR Y-Splitter, which I am seeing if I can have made for the purpose intended.

Please see attached picture, I was wondering if I could connect the Sennheiser G2 EW100 EK100 Wireless Bodypack Receiver to the XLR Mic input on the speaker and then run an XLR (female to male) 3 pin cable from the line out into the zoom H6 for recording.

Do you think this could work?

Thank you once again.

Best regards

Hugh

And those who will,
Or so they say.
Who say nothing -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>