FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLR recorder with useable auto-levels?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Car
XLR recorder with useable auto-levels?
on Sep 1, 2017 at 6:46:08 pm

I understand all the reasons to avoid using auto-levels as much as possible. But when recording nat-sound in unpredictable environments, it's usually the best option.

The auto-levels feature on the Zoom H4N is absolutely worthless. If the audio spikes, the Zoom will turn the levels down... but will never raise them back up again.

I am looking for an XLR audio recorder that will constantly adjust levels (like nearly all professional cameras are able to do). I find it kinda baffling that my phone can do this, but the Zoom H4N cannot. Does anyone have any recommendations? (Appreciate it!)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: XLR recorder with useable auto-levels?
on Sep 2, 2017 at 2:56:10 am

Practically everything made by Sound Devices would meet your requirements. Of course, if you want professional features and performance, be prepared for a professional price tag on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: XLR recorder with useable auto-levels?
on Sep 2, 2017 at 4:05:48 pm

Hello Brian and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Sound Deices makes great gear. I own three pieces myself.

If you're recording wild nat sound, just leave enough headroom and you should be fine. The SD gear is that good.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]