FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam DR60 MK2 - Recording two people in mono

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Zimmerman
Tascam DR60 MK2 - Recording two people in mono
on Aug 20, 2017 at 12:21:33 pm

I am hoping to find a solution here, been looking all over the internet and cant find an answer.

I recently purchased a Tascam DR60 thinking that I could plug in two wireless mics using the xlr adapters and then record both of these in mono. But I dont seem to be able to do this.

Is this possible? as I was sold this on the idea that I could do this.

I dont want to record in stereo, as most of the work I do is with two people talking so mono works very well to cut out the background noise etc..

Is it possible to record two people in mono with this recorder? or have I got this completely wrong.

Thanks
barry

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Tascam DR60 MK2 - Recording two people in mono
on Aug 20, 2017 at 10:47:47 pm

Page 50 of the Tascam manual....

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/799/e_dr-60d_om_va.pdf

Return to posts index

Barry Zimmerman
on Aug 21, 2017 at 6:58:47 am

I have already read the manual, and if you look there is no option to have channel 1 and 2 at the same time in mono? When you are in this mode on the recorder you can only hear either channel 1 or channel 2 but not at the same time, which does not make sense to me. That is what I purchased this recorder for.

I feel I am missing something as people tell me you can record two people in mono at the same time, but I cannot see this option.

It is driving me insane.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 21, 2017 at 7:19:37 am
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Aug 21, 2017 at 7:21:12 am

It is not clear what you mean by "mono"? A "stereo" recording is just two "mono" recordings bundled together. What can you do with "two mono" recordings that you can't do with the two recordings that are bundled together and called "stereo"? Perhaps if you could describe why "stereo" doesn't work for you?

I (and likely most of us here) regularly record two separate microphones to the "left" and "right" channels of the recorder's "stereo" audio track. But that is just a matter of semantics. If you call them "track 1" and "track 2" does that change anything?

Are you perhaps asking how to separate the "left" and "right" channels of the "stereo" recording so that you can handle them separately in post-production editing?

Or is this a question about monitoring?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Barry Zimmerman
on Aug 21, 2017 at 7:57:46 am

Hi Richard,

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, I have so much to learn. From what I have learnt and have been told, when recording people speaking it is best to record in mono and not stereo as I was told stereo picks up more ambient sounds such as background noise.

I currently use two Tascam DR05 recorders and have one wireless lav mic recording in each device, then in post production I import the two recordings and work with them in final cut pro. This works really well and the sound is great as there is hardly any background noise and just the voice of the person.

So when I purchased this new recorder I expected to do the same, but this is not the case as I am learning as you can only monitor one person at a time. When you use stereo you can listen to both as one is in each channel, so in each ear which I understand. But would this option pick up more ambient noise? or I am getting that wrong.

Again sorry for my lack of knowledge, learning all this is fab.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:05:16 pm

Recording "stereo" or "mono" is a function of the microphone and has nothing to do with the recorder. You are correct that recording dialog in stereo is typically a bad idea. But using one lav mic on each of two subjects is not "stereo". And recording the two mics to the "left" and "right" channels of a "stereo" recording is not "stereo". We take two tracks and arbitrarily call them "left" and "right" for people who are recording in stereo. But it is the placement of the microphones that makes "stereo", it is not the arrangement of the tracks on the recorder.

Feel free to record one of your wireless lavs on the first track (which would be "left" if you were recording stereo"), and the other wireless lav on the second track (which would be "right" if you were recording stereo). That does NOT create "stereo" and it has no effect on picking up background noise.

With one wireless lav in each channel, you will hear one in your left ear and one in your right ear. IMHO, that is the ideal way to monitor as it allows you to hear what is happening in each channel independently. So if there is some noise or whatever, you will instantly hear which microphone has the problem. If you mix the channels together for monitoring you lose the ability to identify where a problem might be happening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Barry Zimmerman
on Aug 21, 2017 at 2:15:34 pm

THANK YOU RICHARD

That explains it so well, I know have a better understanding of this. I will do some tests now and see how the recordings come out and have a play in final cut and do some comparisons with my previous recordings.

Again, thank you for explaining this in a well written manner, it makes total sense now.

Much appreciated.
Barry

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 21, 2017 at 2:55:04 pm

I am not a Mac/FC user, so I don't know how it is done in your world. But in other video editing software, you can split apart the two "stereo" channels into separate audio tracks so that you can mix them together independently.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Aug 21, 2017 at 3:14:46 pm

Barry's confusion is understandable, to me anyway. There's not any really good definition for the word "stereo" or even "stereophonic" from which it derives. Stereo is interchangeably used to mean "two track" and "a single track with two fields that when played back together generates a stereophonic effect", not to mention the equipment used to playback the track ("turn on the stereo"), etc.

Here's the thing. A single "stereo" track is nothing more than two mono tracks that are linked together. You can separate the two tracks and treat each one as a mono track. Happens all the time. You can also do the reverse -- connect two mono tracks into a single stereo track. This also happens all the time.

To generate a "stereophonic effect" you need to use at least two microphones simultaneously to record the sounds. The microphones can be coincident, spaced apart, or somewhere in between (near-coincident). The stereophonic effect comes from either loudness variations (the two microphones capture the same sound at different loudness levels), time-of-arrival variations (the two microphones capture the same sound but at slightly different times because of the spacing (one mic is farther away from the source than the other mic)), or both.

There are a great many stereo micing techniques. Some of the more popular techniques include XY, MS, and Blumlein for coincident stereo pairs, AB for spaced pairs, and ORTF and NOS for near-coincident pairs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]