2x 48v to a stereo mic (damaged?)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adriano Castaldini
2x 48v to a stereo mic (damaged?)
on Aug 11, 2017 at 2:44:46 am

Hi everybody,
I'm afraid of having damaged a mic...

I've bought the Audio-Techina BP4025 mic that's a stereo X/Y mic with a 5pin-to-2x3pin cable. I connected the mic to the stereo-recorder with the two 3pin-XLR (Left and Right channels) and I gave 48v phantom to BOTH the channels (so the mic itself received 2x 48v). Later I discovered that giving the 48v just to one single channel (i.e. left) was enough to power both the channels as well.
So arrived my doubt: Is it possible that I have damaged the mic giving 48v to BOTH channel? Or not?

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: 2x 48v to a stereo mic (damaged?)
on Aug 11, 2017 at 4:56:39 am

Extremely unlikely. Audio-Technica's document mentions no prohibition about powering only one side. Did you actually experience any problem with the mic after providing phantom power to both the Left and Right outputs?

I own (or have used) stereo microphones from 4 or 5 different manufacturers (including Audio-Technica) and I always provide phantom power on BOTH sides. In fact mixers (or recorders) which provide individually switchable phantom power per channel are rather in the minority.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 11, 2017 at 6:16:37 am

In the consumer or pro-sumer world global phantom power is the norm. Once you get into the professional world independent phantom is the standard.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Aug 11, 2017 at 12:52:23 pm

Sincerely I didn't hear something particular after having powered both the channel. I simply noticed a "noticeable" difference between the sensibility of one capsule on the other (i.e. when 48v was on both cha., right capsule captured a bit louder than left capsule).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]