FORUMS: list search recent posts

shogun as video and audio recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
shogun as video and audio recorder
on Jul 30, 2017 at 8:42:01 pm

If I were using a Shogun to capture 4K video from either a Canon C-300 mark II or Sony FS7 mark II or Blackmagic Ursa, would the Shogun record the audio from a Sound Devices 302 with good quality or would a dedicated recorder be the only option? If the audio would be good, would the 302 be connected by snake to the camera which would be daisy chained to the Shogun or directly by XLR to the Shogun? I assume a direct connection should be fine but have not used this combo of components. I hope so, cause the camera's outputs are not going to be as good as the SD 302's. The Shogun does offer phantom power so I assume its designed to be the direct audio mixer/recorder but can't imagine that is the same quality as using a dedicated mixer.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: shogun as video and audio recorder
on Jul 31, 2017 at 12:08:15 am

I do sound on quite a few TV commercials using the F7 and Blackmagic Ursa and the standard that I use (as they are normally reasonably a fixed camera / slight move)

Is feed a cable + return for monitoring from the audio mixer (my case a SD442) (the SD302 would work equally as well) direct to the camera XLR inputs.

The shogun / Ninja recorders are then fed via HDMI or SDI this feed has the audio now embedded into that signal no need to connect the audio directly into the video recorder.

The advantage of this system is you have a copy of Video / Audio on the camera card another copy of Video / Audio on the external recorder. I do run a backup audio recorder in my audio bag but have never had to use it.

And NO post sync problems in post production.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:34:04 am

Thanks Brian,
Just wondering-
Did you ever have the recorder not record something and the camera's media cards save the day?

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jul 31, 2017 at 2:15:37 am

Most of my jobs are do the location sound then walk & invoice..... Then a week or so later see the product go to air.
I have known the camera discs failing or the camera op formatting the disc accidentally....
No one ever complains that there are to many copies of the media...... Ever

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2017 at 3:18:23 am

"No one ever complains that there are to many copies of the media...... Ever"

Yes of course. When you say camera disc you do mean the cam's media card, right?

I was asking about the other way round. Have you ever known the recorder (Shogun) to fail and the media card saves the day. The media cards get reformatted pretty much right after they are backed up and yes sometimes they fail.

It doesn't matter, it's good practice as is backing up the back up.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jul 31, 2017 at 9:19:01 am

From what I have gathered the camera media is the main source the Shogun / Ninja is the backup.... And if its reliable? I'm out of the loop by then, but if it wasn't reliable then I doubt it would be used.
Just knowing the OCD level of the DOP that does the shoots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]