FORUMS: list search recent posts

From Mixer to camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Johnston
From Mixer to camera
on Jul 28, 2017 at 5:12:18 pm

I am new to this and wanted to check if what I want to do is possible. We have meeting presentations that we do monthly and would like to record. The room has built-in audio system using 4 wireless mics through a Tascom AV-452. I would like to record the audio direct from the mixer to my Nikon d5200 using a wireless setup. The AV452 has a headphone output with a volume control. Can this be hooked up to a wireless transmitter with the receiver on the camera and would there be a major issue with using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to connect to the wireless transmitter?

Thanks for the help

Kurt

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: From Mixer to camera
on Jul 29, 2017 at 8:19:00 am

The answer to your question is 'YES' it can be done......

Here is the tricky bit, the mixer unit has 'Line Out' XLR connections and also 'Meeting out' RCA connections both of these should give you the signal you need.

DO NOT use the headphone out, they are normally not ideal for what you you want to do and could lead to all sorts of problems, in the hands of casual / inexperienced operators.

BUT the XLR outs are at +4 signal level and the RCA out are at -10 signal level.... The wireless Transmitter is normally about -40 / -50 microphone signal input, so you need to reduce the output of the mixer to match the input of the transmitter this is done with an audio 'pad'.

The actual connection in to the Tx unit will vary brand to brand and model to model...

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 1, 2017 at 6:19:14 am

Our church's mixer has a male audio-out. We are going to use a BOYA BY-WM6 UHF transmitter which has both a line-in and mic-in. Which input will I use?

Can we use this female XLR-to3.5mm cable to connect the mixer's male XLR output to the transmitter's 3.5mm input?
http://www.lazada.com.ph/49ft-15m-xlr-female-to-35mm-stereo-male-cable-conn...

We might also have access to a Saramonic UWMIC10 but there's only mic-in on the transmitter; no line-in. Is that ok?

Thanks! God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:10:11 am

The 'LINE OUT' of the mixer should be a perfect match for the Boya system input, the XLR-F to 3.5mm plug should do the job.... If it doesn't have the right connections it might be just an easy switch around within the XLR connector. (you won't know till you try it).

The other system that only has 'mic in' could be made to do the job but you will need to have access to a competent Techo sort of person.

You will only need one channel to feed from your mixer to your camera, use the mic on the camera top to ad some 'atmos' to any video recordings (just a small amount will make it sound more 'real')

But your on the right path to do what your wanting to do..........

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:29:49 am

Thank you very much Brian. That's very helpful.

This is a bit off topic. Weeks ago, I'd like to record audio from a mixer with a Zoom H6 and then loop out to my laptop for webstreaming.

The technician manning the mixer gave me an XLR cable from their mixer which I then connected to my Zoom H6's XLR input. It was screaming loud. I turned down the volume knob to zero on my H6 and it was still loud. Then a few days later, someone advised me not to ask for a "line-out" nor "record-out" from the mixer; always ask for either auxillary-out or monitor-out. Is this correct? What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you! God bless!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:57:12 am

Most of the recorders in the Zoom range H4, H4n, H5, H6, F4, F8 the XLR inputs are 'mic level' the 6.5mm in the centre of the inout socket are 'line level' ..... So XLR = Mic level,........ 6.5 mm plug = Line level.

No matter how much you turn down the input level controls of the recorders feeding 'line level' into a mic input WILL over load.....EVERY time.

Line level MUST go into line level.... always........ NOT mic level (unless you use an external pad of at least 40-50 db of attenuation).

Now the actual 'mix' you are wanting to record.......

Mixer output will be mix the op is sending to the speakers / PA which maybe not ideal..... but probably the best for your situation.

An AUX mix could be better .......BUT it has to be setup specifically for 'your' needs then needs to me monitored and mixed. In most situations the op struggles to do the main PA mix, to add another mix he needs to control doubles his workload. And think about it if times get busy which mix would they put priority to? The main mix of course.

Big music shows for TV will often have many mixes going of the SAME mics.... Front of House / PA mix, then there will be a fold back mix for the artists and if being broadcast there will be another split to another mixer / operator to do a Broadcast mix. So each mic will have a 3 way split.

In your case just use a Main Mix to feed your wireless system..... you may change in future years but start simple and work up is better than going complex at the start.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 1, 2017 at 8:19:59 am

Oh my goodness. I didn't know of those things until now. Thank you very much.

The reason I asked the mixer operator for an XLR cable was because it's "balanced" and therefore less "noisy" (i think). The mixer was about 15 meters away from me so I thought a long unbalanced cable (with 6.5mm plug) would introduce noise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]